Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to education allowance: part-time option

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Basically if you are studying, even part time, you have to inform SW when you are claiming. They have to ensure that the course you are doing is not preventing you from being able to work full time, and impeding your looking for work efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TriciaDelicia

Hi,

I'm curious about this back to education allowance part-time option

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/part_time_education_option.html

as I am doing a couple of Open University courses and a language course (but not entitled to BTEA as they are not full-time day courses). Is there any benefit in applying for this? The welfare payments remain the same and I still have to be looking for full-time work, so what is the point of this option really?

Can anyone shed any light on it?

Thanks a lot :)

Even on the full-time BTEA you get the basic welfare payment, but you're given €500 around October to help pay for books, stationary etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

you're given €500 around October to help pay for books, stationary etc.

The Cost of Education Allowance will reduce from €500 to €300. (2012)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

The Back to Education Part-Time Education Option does not include payment of the Cost of Education Allowance. If approved, you continue to receive exactly the same Social Welfare payment, though it will be paid into your bank account for the duration of your study. You also have to sign on each month at the Social Welfare Office though they will facilitate you with sign on time so that it doesn't clash with any classes. You still have to keep searching for jobs during your course and take any offers.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BackToEducation/Pages/pteo.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4 evopat41

Hi, was wondering if you could define what a fulltime course is, i am starting a fetac level 5 course in Oct, and would need to apply for bte, as i will have extra costs like petrol etc. The course is monday-friday, 9.30-1.30. i was just wondering if this would be classed as a fulltime course, cus i dont think you are eligible for bte if it is part time. I am a dependent on my partners jobseekers allowance. any advice woud be great. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement