Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craft beers in Templebar

Options
  • 25-01-2012 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi, im heading to templebar soon,staying on a fri and sat night and was wondering could anybody point me in the right direction for some good beers.

My girlfriend will be with me and she is a bulmers drinker but would try other ciders once they werent too exotic, so i wil need to accomadate her.

Ive located the Bull and Castle on google, heard its meant to be a good spot, could i walk from fleet street.

Any suggestions welcome.
    Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Easy walk from Fleet Street. The Palace is on Fleet Street: great selection there. Further up you have Farrington's and at the end of that stretch there's The Porterhouse Temple Bar.

In the other direction it's a short hop to Bowe's, Cassidy's and Messrs Maguire. All of these sell Bulmer's.

You won't be stuck.

If you have an iPhone try the BeoirFinder app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Hi johnnyjb,

2 pubs within 5-10 mins walking from Fleet street both bars are 5 mins apart from each other.

Porterhouse 16-18 Parliament Street, Dublin 2
    Farrington's 27-29 East Essex Street,Dublin 2

Bull and Castle is a 15/20 min walk from Fleet street depending on who is wearing the heels :P so I would start there and make your way back to Temple bar from there and hit the Porterhouse then Farringtons.

Enjoy the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

A little further afield but well worth the trip L. Mulligan in Stoneybatter, also Against the Grain on Wexford Street.

In Temple Bar you have The Porterhouse and Farringtons also carries some Irish beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Take her upstairs in the Palace, get the craft beer downstairs. Can be a good laugh with the right crowd all the bar staff are pretty sound.

Against the Grain is another excellent pub that someone mentioned above, probably has the best selection of craft beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

porterhouse definitely has the biggest variety, including ciders.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The Czech Inn does some decent European beers.

The Foggy Dew has bottles of Dungarvan and O'Haras and I think a few others. Don't think they had any draught craft though.

There's also the Mezz, discussed in this thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056518029

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Porterhouse has a gorgeous cider called Aspall on tap, much nicer and less full of sugar than Bulmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

Thanks for the replies.

Thats plenty of bars to keep me going for 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

If you'll be eating out don't miss L. Mulligans, if you cross the river you can hop on the luas for about 2 stops, get off at smithfield and your around the corner.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Hope the OP wont mind me asking a different question, but does anybody know Farrington's have on tap/cask usually ?

• Advertisement

No cask.

There's a python with three Carlow beers, usually Stout, Curim and IPA, though I've seen the Smoked Ale on it too. Metalman Pale, Trouble Ór and Dark Arts, Hooker and Crean's. I think that's it.

Edit: No, just walked past: the window display advertises 8 Degrees Sunburnt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

I can confirm they had Sunburnt on tap a month or so ago, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

Also can't reccommend L Muligans highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Porterhouse, Bull & Castle and Czech Inn are all within 2-3 minutes of one another. Porterhouse and B&C close early enough so I usually start the night at one of them then head on to Czech Inn, can't go wrong.

By the way, if a busy noisy night club isn't your cup of tea, remember to try upstairs in the Czech Inn. Most people seem to think that it's just the club downstairs, but upstairs there's a bar that's a bit more relaxed.

No one's mentioned it yet, but just on the other side of Fleet St is Messrs Maguires. They brew a few of their own beers, don't know how appreciated they are around here but I've always enjoyed them. It's also a grand spot with a few floors, a dancefloor etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

By the way, if a busy noisy night club isn't your cup of tea, remember to try upstairs in the Czech Inn. Most people seem to think that it's just the club downstairs, but upstairs there's a bar that's a bit more relaxed.

Didn't know that! Walked past once on a Saturday and thought it seemed a bit too noisy for a quiet pint.

Messrs got mentioned in the 2nd post. They've a good following here. :)

No one's mentioned it yet, but just on the other side of Fleet St is Messrs Maguires. They brew a few of their own beers, don't know how appreciated they are around here but I've always enjoyed them. It's also a grand spot with a few floors, a dancefloor etc.

I havn't really enjoyed the last few times I've been in Messrs they seem to be letting things slip a little. I used to really enjoy going in for one or two during the week, especially as its located so close to the dart and my bus stop but Bowes is a much better spot and just around the corner.

Another idea for the OP if you are so inclined is the Twisted Pepper (Abbey Street, just across the river) is a great spot and they normally have 3 bottles of Porterhouse Hop Head for €10 aswell as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, O Haras Stout and Pale Ale, Headless Dog, Goose Island Pale Ale and a few others for €5.50, but their open late. They also have Leffe and Hoegaarden on draft and decent Mojitos for the ladies.

Your ladies don't drink Hop Head? Get new ladies.

BeerNut wrote: »

Infairness mine does, shes also enjoyed my homebrew :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

No one's mentioned it yet, but just on the other side of Fleet St is Messrs Maguires. They brew a few of their own beers, etc.

No they don't :-p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm not a fan of hophead either, and I thought until recently maybe I just don't like hoppy beers, but I frwsjing loved Sierra Navadas Celebration and torpedo!

Hophead, to me, is just too one deminsional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Seaneh wrote: »
    No they don't :-p
    Really?
    Messrs Maguires offers a distinctive opportunity not afforded anywhere else in Dublin- a view at the magic of brewing as it takes place. From our street-side seating as well as our indoor first floor bar, you can watch as our head brewer crafts the perfect pint.

Our brewhouse is comprised of two beautiful copper vessels in which our innovative craft brews are created, including our direct fired boiling kettle. Our basement fermentation room houses two conical fermenters and four conditioning tanks and can be seen from a comfortable seating area (as you enjoy one of our craft brews) in our Brewery Bar. Any day can find our brewer pitching yeast into a tank or racking (moving) beer from one vessel to another to complete the beer creation process.

Come see the magic in action!

http://www.messrsmaguire.ie/beers

Is it just out of date?

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of hophead either, and I thought until recently maybe I just don't like hoppy beers, but I frwsjing loved Sierra Navadas Celebration and torpedo!

Hophead, to me, is just too one deminsional.

I really like hophead, and when the other two 3 for €10 offerings are Bavaria and Brahma I'll take it anyday.

Alot of other hoppy beers (the ones I've had) tend to lean towards using citrusy hops and can have quite a fruity taste but I like the way Hophead is pretty much straight up bitterness. I think the draft version pours a bit more mellowed out, but I like both. A trip to the Porterhouse isn't complete without a Hophead, if it where up to me I'd make it a regular brew

Really?

http://www.messrsmaguire.ie/beers

Is it just out of date?

I thought they brewed there also, but beernut said over in the 'Mezz house beers' thread that White Gypsy are brewing their regular beers and it was only their brewer (whos since left) doing seasonals there.

It's hard to know with MM. Last I heard, just before Christmas, they had a new brewer being trained up. But the way the last one worked was mostly doing specials and seasonals: the core range came from White Gypsy and I'd say it'll take them time to transfer production to the MM brewkit, if that's even practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

There's a python with three Carlow beers, usually Stout, Curim and IPA, though I've seen the Smoked Ale on it too.

The Smoked Ale's on at the moment. Not as smoky as I might have expected, but very drinkable.

Advertisement