Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

comments suggestions on upcoming htpc build

Options
  • 25-01-2012 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hello all!
    I am new to all of this htpc business but having stumbled accross the topic recently I am now completely hooked! I am hoping to do my own build pretty soon and would welcome any feedback/suggestions as to what I hope to use for my build. Please bear in mind that although I would consider myself a "technogeek" I am only just starting to educate myself with regards to the really technical stuff so apologies in advance if I sound like a dumba$$ :)
    Basically, what I want to achieve is
    1. a media hub which I can store all of my movies,pics and music on and access it through my hdtv
    2. ability to playback 1080p for now and possibly 3d in the future (this isnt critical)
    3. ability to do very light web browsing through the htpc, mostly downloading torrent files, my laptop and phone can be used for day to day browsing
    4. I need a box that will have "sky+" capabilities(pause, rewind, record) but not Sky+ subsciption costs ie availability of all freesat sd and hd channels and saorview as well as epg for both and recording of multiple sources at the same time.
    5. Rip and burm bluray
    6. watch netflix etc.
    7. Absolutely no gaming
    8. needs to be able to multitask(Recording TV while transcoding/ripping)
    I know I am asking for a lot but I figured I may as well go akll out and try to get this right first time and try and minimise the need for upgrading in the future.
    The components I have picked for this build are as follows
    • Sandy bridge LGA1155(3D) intel i3-2105 - Processer
    • Asus P8H67-M EVO - Motherboard
    • G.Skill Ripjaws 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 - RAM
    • Seasonic x-series fanless 400Watt modular - Power supply
    • Lite-on Bluray/DVD/CD burner - optical drive
    • Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB SATA III - SSD for os only
    • Tuner card for TV - Any thoughts??
    • WD Green WD20EARS 2TB Drive x 2 - Hard drives
    • Case - Again, Any suggestions??
    • Windows 7
    Apologies for the long post but as I said already, I want to get this right the first time and would greatly appreciate any feedback from you guys as I have been reading through several pages of threads and you really know your stuff :cool:.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Advertisement