Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multimedia and games development advice?

Options
  • 25-01-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hey guys i really want tot do this course next year and i was wonderign what is it like? is it interesting? worth the time?

I'm a big gaming nerd and spend most of my time on my computer i have really limited knowledge of any kind of programming or coding and wondering is this course going to be too dificult for someone without that much knowledge? Hopefully i will get the points, any opinions on the course or advice for me please?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Hey guys i really want tot do this course next year and i was wonderign what is it like? is it interesting? worth the time?

I'm a big gaming nerd and spend most of my time on my computer i have really limited knowledge of any kind of programming or coding and wondering is this course going to be too dificult for someone without that much knowledge? Hopefully i will get the points, any opinions on the course or advice for me please?

A little introduction, I'm in second year of the course at the moment, just after starting the 4th semester.

Let's get the harsh bit out of the way...
    What worries me off the bat is that you say you totally want to do the course, but you don't know that much about it. This course has one of the highest drop out rates, and I suspect it's because people don't do enough research into what it's actually about.
    Being into games does not mean you will be cut out for the course. In fact, there is very little to do with games at all in first year, and it only gradually begins to build up as you go along. If you think it's going to be a course where you can sit back, coast along and play Xbox all week you're wrong. We all commented on it last year, we're a course partly based on games(there's the multimedia side too) and we probably played less games than most people last semester due to the sheer volume of projects and course work we had due.

Now the nice bit...
    The course is awesome. If you're truly interested in making games then you'll probably love it. Not having programming experience doesn't matter. They start off with the most basic of basic stuff, and build up. They start off with Java which is probably the best language to start with. Then you move on to other languages and aspects of games, such as graphics, general game design, audio, etc.

It's tough going. The maths modules in particular can be difficult, but if you have a medium-basic grasp of probability, basic algebra, trigonometry, sets, and a few others I can't really think of, you'll be fine. The minimum requirement is a B2 in Ordinary Level IIRC, and that's about right. Though if you're doing Higher maths, then you'll find some of the stuff easier.

If you are having trouble with anything, there's a great support system in place. The ICT Learning Centre can help you out if you're having difficulty understanding anything, and I've yet to meet a lecturer in the CSIS Department that isn't approachable if you have a problem.

So to sum up, if you work hard and are genuinely interested in the course you'll do fine. If you slack off or aren't prepared for the fact that it's not about playing games all day, you'll fail.

If you've any more questions or want me to elaborate on or clarify anything just ask. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭rainbow66666

thank you so much man i found your information very helpful, I wasn't expecting it to be a walk in the park and i wasn't expecting it to be about chilling out with games, i know from little online learning that programming is a bit difficult and takes alot of getting used to, but im willing to put the boot down and learn. As for the maths exam for people who dont get the B2 in ordinary (cause i got a C last year and slightly worrieb i might not get a B) Is it difficult i cant find any sample papers for it on the site and would have no idea how to prepare for it. any help?

Advertisement