Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish locos in Spain

Options
  • 24-01-2012 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

Just bought a book which shows a Woolworth being loaded on board ship and a dockside full of Irish locos in Spain. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The survival of Irish locos in Spain used to be an urban (?) legend when I became interested in preservation back in the late 1970s, but the pic you refer to shows, they were cut up on the quayside where they were unloaded. I seem to remember that there was some financial shenanigans involved as they were shipped from Ireland as 'operational' locos. Perhaps I'm incorrect in this, it wouldn't be the first time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

there was a ban on the export of scrap (or a customs duty - same effect) in order to keep raw material prices low for Irish Steel in Haulbowline.
    Shenanigans is maybe a tad to strong a word - maybe proving that the law in this case was an ass!

there are some pics and a list i think in the IRRS journal at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

is that picture online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

not as far as I have found

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

What's the title/author of the book?

Sounds like part of Todd Andrews' clearout of Inchicore.
    Were any Irish locos scrapped by private firms here, a la Barry in the uk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Forgive my ignorence, but what's a Woolworth?

A nickname for a 2-6-0 loco, built at Woolwich Arsenal, regauged to 5'3'' and bought 'off the shelf' at a bargain price.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSR_Classes_372_and_393

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Ahh, were these also know as Woolwich Moguls, or am I going off in the wrong direction?

The very same, 'Mogul' is a reference to the 2-6-0 wheel arrangement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

roundymac wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorence, but what's a Woolworth?

sorry, I'm more used to the SR U and N class cousins...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SECR_N_class

k35gyu.jpg
    Book is Railways in Irelnad part 4 GSW by Martin Bairstowisbn 978 1 871944 40 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There was a certain Northern Ireland scrap metal merchant who supposedly bought up a welt of the ex CIE and UTA steam locos, scrapped them and sold on the metal and boilers and made his fortunes. He is more famous for a few other trades, mind :)

Advertisement