Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist comment ? By Voice presenter on CH4?

Options
  • 24-01-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Whilst the Tv was on and the programme was ending(Come dine with me) 17.00/18.00Hrs on Channel 4 the guy who does the programme announcing made a reference to the show on later"15 and counting"and I loosely quote him,"..and I thought it was only the Irish" I dont usually get worked up but was this a personal slip up or something that is promoted within British TV?If anyone has it recorded Please tell me I was hearing things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Relax man, I didn't hear it but there's more important things in the world to be concerned about like the global financial meltdown etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

If anyone has it recorded Please tell me I was hearing things.

You weren't hearing things. Did you hear the announcer's accent though? He is Irish.

RayM wrote: »
    If anyone has it recorded Please tell me I was hearing things.

You weren't hearing things. Did you hear the announcer's accent though? He is Irish.

No he's not, Dave Lamb is English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

No he's not, Dave Lamb is English.

It wasn't him - it was the continuity announcer after the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Sound,I aint loosing it . So was it a Racist slur?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

It goes both ways. Always dodgy comments about english here in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Cmon, thats nothing. It's not like the English pillaged our homes and raped our wives...Oh wait!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

curry-muff wrote: »
    Cmon, thats nothing. It's not like the English pillaged our homes and raped our wives...Oh wait!!!

Thats racist:D .Oh hang on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Does this mean we have to burn down the Embassy again.. I was gonna just watch telly tonight.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The utter bastard. Us Irish have never been known to tow the Catholic line and throw out babies like we were on commission........

• Advertisement

Does this mean we have to burn down the Embassy again.. I was gonna just watch telly tonight.. :(

Meet you in Twenty minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Sound,I aint loosing it . So was it a Racist slur?

Are you for real? You're trying to find out on the internet if you should be offended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Oh for gawd's sake.

It's not racism..... it's xenophobia if anything. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It sounds like it was probably meant to be heard and was a light-hearted joke at himself more than anything else, considering he's Irish.

Surely it's more somewhat xenophobic than racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I put my remote through the television when I heard it. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

joeduffy-380x282.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so in what context did he say it?? OP

irish can't count??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The term 'racism' is used as a shield to protect groups of people from criticism based on racial stereotypes yet we Irish are happy to take positive comments but woe betide anyone who criticises us as a nation, especially the English!

For example, if a travel writer comments on how welcoming and hospitable the Irish are, that is technically a racist comment because it is a generalisation based on race.

As an Irishman it's ok for me to say that we are a filthy bunch of wasters who dump rubbish all over the countryside because some of us are too mean to pay for refuse collection. If an Englishman said that it would be racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

I notice on a mainstream uk forum I frequent that they seem to tolerate xenophism and racist slang that would be shot down here

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    so in what context did he say it?? OP

irish can't count??

It was said in a off the cuff manner,Perhaps making small talk. I dont usually get annoyed at things like this but for a Main broadcaster to air this is not on,In my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Oh for gawd's sake.

It's not racism..... it's xenophobia if anything. ;)

unless the announcer wasn't white!!:pac:

Advertisement