Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Media Sites, Proxy servers ??? Teaching a class from a School in 6 weeks!

Options
  • 24-01-2012 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I am teaching an introduction to Internet and Social Media in a Secondary school in Ireland shortly. However, I have been told that the school makes use of a remote network monitoring service that blanket blocks all schools in its charge from using YouTube, FB etc. To remove the block from one school means the block is removed from all.

What do you recommend? Should I contact the vendor/network management people and beg or is it simple and safe to use a proxy? Really want this class to be a success but really don't want to pee off the school my messing with their settings.

*thank you for all answers and please let me know if I have posted in the wrong place cheers*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Short answer is yes and no !

Yes,they are blocked by a central monitoring system,that cannot be by-passed by proxy servers or 'other' ways !
    No,that restriction can be removed easily enough,you require a standard application to be signed by School Management and sent back to central monitoring office.Once access setup,you can re-set to previous settings after all done !.

Due to the fact that is a closed system and NDA may apply,i can advise you ,in general speaking terms,on how to do it.

You can start by calling them and explain that you need Content Filtering tailored / enabled in that school for a day, for training purposes !

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Contact HEAnet since they provide the backbone for all Irish Schools and Colleges.
    Using a proxy or any other system with clearance from then could get you fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Graciemight

rolion wrote: »
    Short answer is yes and no !

Yes,they are blocked by a central monitoring system,that cannot be by-passed by proxy servers or 'other' ways !
    No,that restriction can be removed easily enough,you require a standard application to be signed by School Management and sent back to central monitoring office.Once access setup,you can re-set to previous settings after all done !.

I have sorted the filtering out and it was as simple as making a phone call and downloading a form.
    Thanks so much for the tip - I can't get over how simple it was. So many people had said it was 'impossible' that I almost believed them!

Advertisement