Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should clubs ban members that bring club into disrepute?

Options
  • 24-01-2012 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭

I came across this video where a riot broke out at a football match in Brazil (I think). When it was found out one of the rioters was a member of Shogun Rua's gym he was thrown out.

Was the club right to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Yes but needs to be looked into, individual cases need to be looked at individually.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

Yes..end of story
    a coach spends a lot of time building up a reputation and that can be destroyed by a students behaviour,in or out of the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

yes, no question

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Of course.
    Id the club's name is dragged into it they they are right to defend their rep.
    That doesn't mean that all outside acts are punishable. Case by case basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mannequinhands

yes case by case of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭garrybergin

Absolutely , as Peter said coaches spend years building up their reputations for one rogue student to destroy it ...and its not fair on the other students of the club / school / academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

We have asked a few to leave or not come back. One other lad is on verge or being put out

Simple really, one eejit knocking around the club can keep many decent folk out

Don't expect the lads to sit in reading Charles dickens on a Saturday night but they must behave in a decent manner

I have also noticed, thus far, that giving people chances does not work. They let you down

In general though it's the quiet decent hard working lads that seem to do well. The bully boys always flock things up for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Would it be something that club owners/trainers would make known to their members/students, that if you fight or cause trouble outside of the club you're out?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

p to the e wrote: »
    Would it be something that club owners/trainers would make known to their members/students, that if you fight or cause trouble outside of the club you're out?

Yes but it depends on the situation. Big difference in throwing ur weight about and defending urself or family

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

what if he is a really good prospect???
    its much easier to kick out a poor/averaage student to make a point bbut i bet it would be a different story if he was a really good prospect/star.

• Advertisement

monkey8 wrote: »
    what if he is a really good prospect???
    its much easier to kick out a poor/averaage student to make a point bbut i bet it would be a different story if he was a really good prospect/star.

Does not matter at all, if they should be kicked out then it's irrelevant how good they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 buyersguide044

everything is not just cut and dry , its is always case by case , i guess

can take years to build a reputation and one person can do a lot of damage to it in 5 minutes, disrepute is disrepute, clear cut out you go ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

If a top fighter is kicked out of a club wont he just go somewhere else? Forgive and forget I say.

_oveless wrote: »
    If a top fighter is kicked out of a club wont he just go somewhere else? Forgive and forget I say.

been a clubs top fighter includes been a roll model for the juniors in a club.

Clubs best fighter & good roll model equals a top fighter
    Clubs best fighter, ass hole in and out side of the club is not a top fighter

_oveless wrote: »

it's not wheter you forget thats the problem, it's how other people from the area for example remember your top student been a scummer,

If another club is happy to take on bad baggage and possibly tar there reputation then work away, if you forgive your best fighter then realistically you have to treat others the same.

cowzerp wrote: »
    it's not wheter you forget thats the problem, it's how other people from the area for example remember your top student been a scummer,

If another club is happy to take on bad baggage and possibly tar there reputation then work away, if you forgive your best fighter then realistically you have to treat others the same.

I'd rather have a group of the worst fighters ever with great mannerisms and respect for the sport/martial art than a pro level arsehole.
    The progress is much greater when your team gets on well together.

I'd rather have a group of the worst fighters ever with great mannerisms and respect for the sport/martial art than a pro level arsehole.
    The progress is much greater when your team gets on well together.

so true, one bad apple and all that jaz ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Sorry guys I'm talking about a single incident here like a fighter getting into a fight outside a pub or something these things happen as long as it's a once off I dont think he should be kicked out over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It depends on the incident, "a fight" is very vauge.
    Defending yourself, is very different going around starting fights.
    A quick scuffle is different to severly beating someone.

It depends...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Case by case basis really... If they are not the aggressor and are just defending themselves or others, then they should have no case to answer. If they get in a scuffle outside pub/club with another equally to blame party and its an isolated incident, then a word in the ear should suffice, if this happens a lot then there is a case for chucking them out of the club. If a guy walks up to a complete stranger starts acting the bollox and beats the **** out of them for no reason, then thats just being a scumbag and he should be dealt with accordingly.

That's my viewpoint anyhow, it's not black and white and should be dealt with depending on the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Of course it depends on the situation.

A) Fighter defends himself outside a nightclub from some idiot who has hit him and given his girlfriend an Irish Whip followed up by a clothesline and an Atomic leg-drop........... then perhaps you don;t kick him out.

B) Fighter decides he's bored so spends the day setting old ladies on fire and pitting babies against each other in to-the-death knife fights......... ask him to leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

MrStuffins wrote: »

setting old ladies on fire and pitting babies against each other in to-the-death knife fights......... ask him to leave!

I would pay to see this...

Advertisement