Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to apply for test status

Options
  • 24-01-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/16698328.stm

Any views? I think 2020 might be a bit ambitious given the huge amount of work that would be needed in upgrading facilities and increasing and maintaining numbers playing, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,516 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

A bit ambitious alright, but what the hell, never get anywhere without trying. Its great to see a well organised plan like this in place and the organisation looking to go from strength to strength

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Whats the min number of test grounds required to obtain state status?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Very ambitious but sure nothing ventured

Some tongue in cheek comments on cricinfo that Ireland could take up India Test place as they don't seem to be interested in Test cricket any longer.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Some tongue in cheek comments on cricinfo that Ireland could take up India Test place as they don't seem to be interested in Test cricket any longer.:D
    Came in to say something similar! Really think T20 has affected them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What does the plan say about setting up a first class system? Thats the main stumbling block I think, it would be interesting to see if they have a realistic idea for setting one up.

What does the plan say about setting up a first class system? Thats the main stumbling block I think, it would be interesting to see if they have a realistic idea for setting one up.

Inter Pros to start with but you might see Leinster broke up, Fingal could have its own team. Weaker pro teams banged together.

CricketIreland
    The initiatives include:

The ‘Get into Cricket Scheme ‘a major new programme targeting schools and clubs encouraging 6 to 12 years olds to take up the game for the first time
    The National Cup – a new domestic National club competition for clubs not already competing in the Bob Kerr Irish Senior Cup. This provides 32 new clubs with the chance to compete for an All Ireland title and the opportunity to play cricket outside of their local area
    The ‘Better Clubs Initiative’ – an innovative programme supporting local clubs across the country to improve their facilities. This programme is a volunteering initiative aimed at encouraging local cricket supporters, their friend and families to undertake work to improve the facilities at their local club houses and grounds
    The Cricket Ireland National Awards – a major awards event recognising players, coaches, volunteers, groundsmen, officials and clubs for the contribution they make to the game in Ireland. This will be an annual event starting in 2012
    The establishment of Regional Academies to develop and foster the young talent from the ages of 15 to 19 and ensure a pipeline of players for our International teams
    The re-launch of the Inter-Pro Series as a pre-cursor to setting up a first class domestic playing infrastructure in Ireland.

Irish Daily Mail
    If Tests in Ireland became a reality, the national side would play at the new ground in Malahide, Co Dublin, their established northern base of Stormont and, eventually, at Bready, Rankin’s former club, which will be established as a new international hub in cricket-mad Derry.

But there are serious question marks over the viability of staging the slowest form of cricket over five consecutive days in this country, where there are 13 clubs in the whole of Munster and six — mainly forged amid Galway’s Indian and Pakistani communities — in Connacht.

Another problem, apart from the climate and the likely resistance of the ICC, is the marketability of the product itself in an age of quick fixes and sport kowtowing to TV executives. Even New Zealand, ranked ninth in the world, have struggled to keep Test cricket alive and with ailing attendances, resorted to bringing Test matches to small, provincial grounds of capacities of around 7,000.

Deutrom said Ireland would follow this lead, and claimed: ‘I have no doubt that we would be selling out grounds of that size, because Ireland would be playing Test cricket.’

However, when Sportsmail asked the CEO what research had been done to identify a market for what would be a brand new form of entertainment — one-day and Twenty20 internationals are played at a greater pace than Tests, and are far more appealing to the peripheral fan — he confessed that there had been none.

But part of Deutrom’s strategic vision, he said, is a major marketing push to make the whole country sit up and take notice of cricket.

I can only speak from personal experience here but "getting in" to cricket at a later age is difficult at the moment in Ireland, I just get told they are not recruiting new players at the moment and this is sad cause its something I really want to do having watched the sport for years!

My location limits me with who I can play with too unfortunately. Only the one team in Waterford that I can play for and it seems to be a shut door.

Getting kids into it at a young age would be great but it needs the cooperation of the already established clubs and needs new clubs to be set up also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

kryogen wrote: »
    I can only speak from personal experience here but "getting in" to cricket at a later age is difficult at the moment in Ireland, I just get told they are not recruiting new players at the moment and this is sad cause its something I really want to do having watched the sport for years!

My location limits me with who I can play with too unfortunately. Only the one team in Waterford that I can play for and it seems to be a shut door.

Getting kids into it at a young age would be great but it needs the cooperation of the already established clubs and needs new clubs to be set up also.

Who told you that? Most clubs are only too glad of new members! Depending on where you are in Waterford maybe Wexford or Bagenlstown might be options? Both would be a bit of a trek unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

There's 3 clubs in Waterford. Waterford DCC, WIT and Lismore. I played with Lismore for 5 years then moved on to DCC but had to finish with them as it clashed with work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I've never heard of any club turn down members (and their subscription!) before, very strange.

I dont know if its still active but mount juliet near thomastown is close enough kryogen, plus its non league so all experience levels are welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Skip82

If you're still looking and Lismore is near enough to you give us a shout. our website is https://sites.google.com/site/lismorecricketclub/home or if you're on Twitter DM us @LismoreCC :D

Sorry lads, only looking in this thread again now, see a few replies to me, thanks for that. The one that practices at the golf course is the one that has been completely unresponsive. Williamstown golf course that is, in Waterford City.

Lismore, Bagnelstown and Wexford all a bit of trek tbh with work and family committments at the moment.

Its a real shame its not a more popular sport here, I'd really love to play!

Advertisement