Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get educated.

Options
  • 24-01-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Heys guys,i am thinking about going back to college,im 26 only have my leaving certificate and i am in a job i dont like very much.I have found a course in Limerick that i think i will be good at as i have a keen interest in computers and technology and due to the shift i work at the moment i could study to my work schedule.

http://www.lcfe.ie/DAY-COURSES/School-of-Adult---Continuing-Education-%28Morning-Co/Computer-Applications.aspx

My questions are as follows.

1) What kind of further education options are available to me if i recieve the fetac level 5 award?

2) Are there any other courses similar that would be of more of greater benefit to me?

3) Has anyone used a similar type of course to progress their education?

Any help would be fantastic guys or stories of your own educational journey.

Thanks and best wishes

-Bud :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sleepman

Hey Bud

I left school at 16 with a below average junior cert. I decided to go back to education and have since done two FETAC level 5 courses in different colleges and am currently doing a degree so FETAC level 5 is definitely a route into further education. I can tell you those FETAC courses were hugely different. Not many people believe me but one was as hard as first year of a degree with the same academic standards, time commitment and quality of lecturers. The other one reminded me of secondary school with very low standard of teaching which could be completed with a commitment of about 5 hours a week outside college. So just to let you know some FETAC level 5 courses are horrible and it seems to depend on where you do them. If you could speak to anyone who has done that course you linked to before that would be advisable.

As regards your question about continuing after FETAC, in WIT (and I'm sure it's the same everywhere) as a mature student you will apply through the CAO as normal but you will be sent a form from the college looking for additional information from you such as Junior/Leaving results, Further Education results (FETAC), Third level results and life skills/volunteering information. You are given points for whatever you put down and if you score high enough against the other applicants you get in. There is no interview for WIT anymore and I think that might be the same with many colleges.

I've heard anecdotally that Institutes of Technology will only take students with distinctions in all/selected subjects related to the degree.

With a Leaving Cert and a very strong FETAC level 5 behind you you should get into an IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sookey

Hey Bud
    Progression from Fetac level 5 awards nowadays have 2 schemes available.

HIGHER EDUCATION LINKS SCHEME

This one facilitates progression to a variety of education course via specific Fetac level 5 and 6 awards. under this scheme a number of places are reserved by higher education institutions for Fetac applicants for entry to a range of third level courses. This is done on a points system. I have listed points system below.

THE PILOT SCHEME

This one facilitates progression to higher certificate (level 6 courses) and ordinary degree (level 7) courses via any Fetac level 5 OR 6 award. under this most places are open to Fetac applicants on a competitive basis with leaving cert applicants.

APPLICATION

Application is made to the Central Applications Office (CAO) by the first of Feb of each year of entry by completing quite a big form :eek:

Grading of Fetac is done on a 3 tier system

pass - 20 points
    merit - 35 points
    distinction - 50 points

the maximum you can earn is 400 points

so in order to gain a FULL CERTIFICATE u need 8 distinctions, if you get under this you will get a I think they call it a COMPONENT CERT, but dont worry you can go back the following year and redo the bits you need, then reapply for your full cert and bingo off you go to further education.

it is important that you contact your relevant Higher Ed Institution as colleges and courses may have specific minimum standards in addition to those above.

and from any of these you can go on to do any level 8 - (Honours degree)

I hope this helps, I know how you feel was in the same boat myself not that long ago, good luck with your courses and the future. :)

oh and before I go when you go back to college full time you can apply for BTEA - Back to Education Allowance which I think is the same as basic socail welfare these days. you can also apply for a back to ed allowance of €500, this was the case but is worth checking out anyways. And your allowed to work up to 16 hours .... lol ... if you find the time with all the assignments :D

good luck anyhow.......

Advertisement