Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance while moving abroad?

Options
  • 24-01-2012 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I am wondering if anybody knows whether there would be a problem insuring my home while I go to Australia? I am going on a 3 year contract, and I have been told by a number of people that I will not be covered because the house in Ireland is unoccupied... even though a close relative is going to keep an eye on the place....
    Anybody any experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Insurance companies generally don't like to cover empty properties. Have a look at http://www.kiddinsurances.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I got holiday home insurance when we moved to the UK - From Allianz
    I think the conditions involved draining the cold water system down and someone checking it once a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 my475visaquest

thanks for the help guys, I will keep looking into it!............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Why dont you try and lease it out?

There are a couple of obstacles.

1)Insurers HATE unoccupied houses and you will get maybe 2 that will quote you for an unoccupied property and at that they will load the bollix off ya.

2)Alot of insurers wont offer cover unless the policy holder is resident in the Republic of Ireland which you wont be.

3)You cannot get holiday home insurance because it is not a holiday home.

The easiest option will be to try and get it rented and get a lease agreement in place.Cover for unoccupied properties only covers fire,lightning and explosion damage so if it got flooded,burst pipes etc,it wont be covered.At least if its tenanted you will have better cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 my475visaquest

Thanks for the reply OD. I didnt want to lease it, although I may have to if I cannot insure it properly! decisions decisions decisions.....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would have some one live in the house when you are abroad as a house can get damp if there is no living in. You need to have heating on in a house, windows open or light shining into rooms during the day.
    I know that when I was looking for house insurance one of the details on the policies was that I could not be away for more than 30 days at a time from my own home.

Advertisement