Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper Technique ? Also ,Good Bass Songs .

Options
  • 24-01-2012 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

So I've been playing bass with nearly 2 years now and I've always wondered from watching other people play : am I doing it right ? I notice that when alternate finger playing that people always have their hand layed back and their fingers hit the string above what they are playing ,I don't do that :L My Hand looks like a steep wall that just drops at the wrist when I'm playing the higher up strings and I never hit the strings above what I'm playing .
    I'm just wondering if theres any sort of technique that I should be using .

Also ,does anyone have any good bass songs that I could learn ? I've been playing a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers and its getting kinda repetitive just playing the same songs nearly every day . Any suggestions anyone ?

Thanks in advance .

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 The Lorax

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ColinBassGuy

The Lorax wrote: »

Oh God ... Primus freak the hell outta me xD Not too into Claypool's bass-lines either ,thanks for the suggestion though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Avoid having a sharp bend at your right wrist. Your wrist should be as straight as possible. No more than say a 35 degree bend.

Cream - Sunshine of Your Love
    Faith No More - We Care A Lot
    Pink Floyd - Money, Wish You Were Here
    Fleetwood Mac - The Chain
    Parliament - Mothership Connection
    Primus - Mary The Ice Cube, Southbound Pachyderm
    Megadeth - Five Magics, Duke Nukem Theme
    Testament - Souls of Black
    Jaco Pastorius - Portrait of Tracy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 The Lorax

If you want something different than fast slapping & funck, why not try some of the amazing smooth grooves of Steely Dan?

http://youtu.be/wCtSa0exAH0

Would suggest the albums Aja & Gaucho & The Royal Scam.

18AD wrote: »
    Avoid having a sharp bend at your right wrist. Your wrist should be as straight as possible. No more than say a 35 degree bend.

Cream - Sunshine of Your Love
    Faith No More - We Care A Lot
    Pink Floyd - Money, Wish You Were Here
    Fleetwood Mac - The Chain
    Parliament - Mothership Connection
    Primus - Mary The Ice Cube, Southbound Pachyderm
    Megadeth - Five Magics, Duke Nukem Theme
    Testament - Souls of Black
    Jaco Pastorius - Portrait of Tracy

Okay ,thanks for the tip ! And I can't believe that I never thought of any of these ,thanks :)

• Advertisement

The Lorax wrote: »
    If you want something different than fast slapping & funck, why not try some of the amazing smooth grooves of Steely Dan?

http://youtu.be/wCtSa0exAH0

Would suggest the albums Aja & Gaucho & The Royal Scam.

This guy is really good ,definitely gonna look into more of his stuff ,thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

In before Rigsby posts that Todd Johnson video :)

Well I thought Rigsby would have been by before now so here are a couple of videos that I found very useful when I forced myself to learn fingerstyle bass properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Malice wrote: »
    In before Rigsby posts that Todd Johnson video :)
    Well I thought Rigsby would have been by before now so here are a couple of videos that I found very useful when I forced myself to learn fingerstyle bass properly.

Yeah, you beat me to it Malice. I'm getting slow in my old age. :D

OP, I'm not quite sure what you mean, when you describe your technique. Maybe you could post a video clip of you playing or explain further ? Bear in mind that there are no "rules" as such. If it works for you and is safe (i.e. both wrists are straight, so you wont experience any physical problems) then I dont see a problem.

Rigsby wrote: »
    Yeah, you beat me to it Malice. I'm getting slow in my old age. :D

OP, I'm not quite sure what you mean, when you describe your technique. Maybe you could post a video clip of you playing or explain further ? Bear in mind that there are no "rules" as such. If it works for you and is safe (i.e. both wrists are straight, so you wont experience any physical problems) then I dont see a problem.

Ok i will try and see if I can record a video later tonight ,it doesn't seem like I'm doing it completely wrong but it just doesn't seem right compared to everyone elses playing-style . I find myself moving my whole arm out just to play the G-String compared to when I'm hitting the E-string and just leaving my arm rest on the body of the bass

• Advertisement

Wow ,the first guy really helped me get it right ,I always had my elbow dropped which is why I was pushing my hand forward to play the higher strings ! Thanks for the help ,appreciate it :D

Yeah, I guess keeping your elbow up is key. I try to just keep it simple. When playing the B string I rest my thumb on the pickup, E string I rest my thumb on the B, A string I rest my thumb on the E etc. If I'm about to play a part where I know I'm going to be hitting two strings in quick succession then I might not bother moving my thumb. A good example is The Four Horsemen by Metallica. The whole song is quite fast so for a lot of it I keep my thumb rooted to the B string if I know I'm going to be bashing away on the E and A strings.

The main thing is that you don't start doing like the guy in the second video demonstrates and keep your thumb anchored unnecessarily. Also don't press your thumb down hard against the bass, only press as firmly as you need to so that your thumb doesn't slip.

I notice that when alternate finger playing that people always have their hand layed back and their fingers hit the string above what they are playing ,I don't do that :L My Hand looks like a steep wall that just drops at the wrist when I'm playing the higher up strings and I never hit the strings above what I'm playing .

The penny has now dropped with me, as to what you mean here. :o

While I did say there are no "rules," IMO I think it is worth working on this plucking method ( i.e. letting the finger land on the string above the one played ). It makes for a more even tone with each finger and helps to mute unwanted sounds from unplayed strings.

Hopefully the "Floating Thumb" technique will help.

Yeah, I guess keeping your elbow up is key. I try to just keep it simple. When playing the B string I rest my thumb on the pickup, E string I rest my thumb on the B, A string I rest my thumb on the E etc. If I'm about to play a part where I know I'm going to be hitting two strings in quick succession then I might not bother moving my thumb. A good example is The Four Horsemen by Metallica. The whole song is quite fast so for a lot of it I keep my thumb rooted to the B string if I know I'm going to be bashing away on the E and A strings.

The main thing is that you don't start doing like the guy in the second video demonstrates and keep your thumb anchored unnecessarily. Also don't press your thumb down hard against the bass, only press as firmly as you need to so that your thumb doesn't slip.

I'm only using a 4 string anyway and barely ever have to take my thumb off of the pickup when playing ,a lot of what I play is quick stuff like some Metallica ,Muse ,Red Hot Chili Peppers etc. I used to get wicked pains in my thumb before because I always pressed down really hard for some reason but some guy on youtube (lallare90) told me the correct way .
    Thanks for the help :)

Rigsby wrote: »
    The penny has now dropped with me, as to what you mean here. :o

While I did say there are no "rules," IMO I think it is worth working on this plucking method ( i.e. letting the finger land on the string above the one played ). It makes for a more even tone with each finger and helps to mute unwanted sounds from unplayed strings.

Hopefully the "Floating Thumb" technique will help.

Ya the 'Floating Thumb' technique helped a lot ,it's probably gonna take a while though before I get used to landing on the above string when I pluck because I've been doin' it a weird way for 2 years now :L Oh well ,atleast I know now before it's too late .
    Thanks again :)

Ya the 'Floating Thumb' technique helped a lot ,it's probably gonna take a while though before I get used to landing on the above string when I pluck because I've been doin' it a weird way for 2 years now :L Oh well ,atleast I know now before it's too late .
    Thanks again :)

With a little time and patience it will become second nature. When I was starting to get the hang of alternating the fingers, my teacher advised me to also practice without the amp, while looking at TV etc. While watching TV, have the bass on your lap and just alternate the fingers, letting them land on the string above the one being played. Start slowly and deliberatly, to make sure you are doing it correctly. Then go on "auto pilot."

Best of luck with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Good bass line... very melodic and some cool fills.

Advertisement