Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social welfare payments

Options
  • 24-01-2012 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi I'm just wondering if anybody could help me on a query I have. I'm a 24 year old female in a part time college course,only 5-6 hours per week. I applied for job seekers back in December and was successful in recieving this. I work part time in a local store, between 9 and 13 hours weekly. I have worked there a year and a half and it has just become unbearable. Some days I dont get a hello from the employers given their mood which gets the work day off to a poor start. I work a 6 hour shift with no breaks not even for the toilet. We have no heating in the premises so I am forced to stand in the cold for hours. When I wear a jacket Im told to remove it as it looks woeful. Due to the temperature in the shop I have had to go to the doctor more over this winter than ever which results in me having to take time off from work sick, which in turn doesnt go down well with the employers. I am in college specific days of the week so I am unable to work these days but accomodate other days, but my employers insist on putting me down for these days and if I cannot do it they take work from me on the other days so some weeks I get nothing. They also will not give their staff a contract as we are all still on trial a year and a half later which doesnt seem right. We dont know our rights as employees within their workplace and when they are asked about giving us contracts I have been told ' We pay the wayges so we make the rules as we see fit. If you dont like it leave'...but there are no other jobs out there I have been looking for the last 6 months and have had no luck. Its gotten to the point where I'm coming home crying at night from work and am constantly stressed and I dont think this is right at all. Im thinking of quitting this position but giving my situation I dont know if I would be entitled to any social welfare or if I would be entitled to continue getting my jobseekers. I have spoken to my local social welfare office but they refuse to give me a definite answer on the situation saying I could lose it all but going to work each time is really getting me down and I dont know where else to go with this. If anybody else has been in this situation or has any information it would be very much appricated!! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 whistler21

hi its a bit of a long shot but does any1 know if the post office are paying out social welfare payments on tuesday this week because there closed on good friday i need an answer asap if possible???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

whistler21 wrote: »
    hi its a bit of a long shot but does any1 know if the post office are paying out social welfare payments on tuesday this week because there closed on good friday i need an answer asap if possible???

All details here re Easter Signing/Payment Arrangements http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Easter-Arrangements-2013.aspx

Advertisement