Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit sitters?

Options
  • 23-01-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have two pairs of rabbits and we're looking for a sitter to look after them while we are away for about 3 weeks or so in America getting married!

Anyone know of anyone in Dublin who does such a thing???

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i've seen a few based in sligo.

what types of rabbits are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Do you know the Amy Lara Vets on Malahide Road? They at least board the rabbits, but one of their staff might be able to look after them at your home, depending on where you live

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Try facebook.. Small Animal Minder - Dublin
    She's based in Clonsilla. http://sarahspetz.weebly.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

The vet clinic in Bray also does this, some people were leaving their pets in when I was there with my fish.

http://www.veterinary.ie/go/pet_boarding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Thanks for all the replies both here and on PM! Am going to discuss with the missus, ring a few places and see where they go.

This might seem an odd concern but have any of you ever done this? I'm a little concerned it'll be stressful for them and us because we'll be away nearly a month and they might get used to being wherever it is we leave them you know?

Bunnies are odd little creatures...takes a while to bond with them, hope they don't see us as strangers by the time we get home!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Silverfish wrote: »
    The vet clinic in Bray also does this, some people were leaving their pets in when I was there with my fish.

http://www.veterinary.ie/go/pet_boarding

Sorry as this is off topic but why did you take your fish to the vets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

godtabh wrote: »
    Sorry as this is off topic but why did you take your fish to the vets?

I wanted to ask that too!! :D

I needed to check if he needed fluids drained, and I also wanted a specific antibiotic for him that can only be prescribed by a vet, so he needed to be a patient before it could be prescribed.

Silverfish wrote: »
    I needed to check if he needed fluids drained, and I also wanted a specific antibiotic for him that can only be prescribed by a vet, so he needed to be a patient before it could be prescribed.

What kind of fish? (last ot post I swear!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Monokne wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies both here and on PM! Am going to discuss with the missus, ring a few places and see where they go.

This might seem an odd concern but have any of you ever done this? I'm a little concerned it'll be stressful for them and us because we'll be away nearly a month and they might get used to being wherever it is we leave them you know?

Bunnies are odd little creatures...takes a while to bond with them, hope they don't see us as strangers by the time we get home!

We have left our guinea pigs with a sitter a few times now. The longest was for 2 weeks. They have always been fine. Never had any problems with them forgetting us or anything like that. As soon as we get home and put them back in their own cage everything is just back to normal :) To be honest though, with our piggies, aslong as they are being given plenty of veg they tend to be happy wherever they are!

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    What kind of fish? (last ot post I swear!)

Big goldfish. 8 inches long and body about the size of my hand. He didn't make it anyway, tumours on his kidneys.

OP, I asked someone today about their bunnies, and they said once they're handled and interacted with they don't make strange when you have them back.
    So they should be okay, they might be a bit shy for a day or two but they return to normal! They said one of their buns was a bit nippy and shy before he went in, and was actually less shy when he came home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 moses13

Monokne wrote: »

I have a bunny stay with me for 6 weeks every summer he has no problem slipping back into his own routine again when he goes home. The fact that they have the company of each other definitely helps them settle. Of course they will remember you, they always remember who is good to them! :)

Advertisement