Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance - time for a new approach?

Options
  • 23-01-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

The current method of applying for Disability Allowance is completely and utterly up the proverbial creek! It takes too long and the whole procedure stinks of incompetence and hopelessness! And as for applying and continuing to get Supplementary Welfare Allowance, that too is a complete and utter joke, from what I am experiencing at the moment.

So today I am calling on the Government of Ireland to consider making major changes to the whole Disability Allowance system, as follows:-

(1) The application procedure to be administered by Social Welfare Officers instead of Community Welfare Officers.

(2) The entire process to be simplified, i.e. a psychologists report which will be sent to the Disability Allowance HQ as soon as it is received by the local Social Welfare Officers. The costs of the report to be paid for by Social Welfare.

(3) A decision to be made by DA HQ within a maximum of 28 days from the date of application.

(4) Whilst awaiting a decision on a DA claim, a payment equivalent to the normal Social Welfare rate to be paid in full to claimant.

(5) A new rate of €500 per week (tax free) to be paid to people with permanent disabilities to replace the need to apply for other benefits - this rate will cover rent or mortgage needs. To be paid instead of State Pension, up till death.

(6) A new Voluntary Employment Scheme exclusively for DA claimants, aimed at charity work, museums, tourist schemes, etc. DA claimants would work on these schemes for no extra wage but would be able to claim reasonable expenses.

If anyone wishes to support these proposals, please say so, and I will forward replies to the Minister responsible in due course.

Comments

Advertisement