Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The City Arms Pub

Options
  • 23-01-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

The city arms pub in prussia street, Dublin. was it known by another name back in the mid 60,s and if so what was that name, thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Dub12Dave wrote: »
    The city arms pub in prussia street, Dublin. was it known by another name back in the mid 60,s and if so what was that name, thank you.

Pretty sure it was The Bannerman or The Banner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Was that not further down towards the city centre? Its now called Hynes. The only name I remeber on the City Arms was Clarkes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Was that not further down towards the city centre? Its now called Hynes. The only name I remeber on the City Arms was Clarkes.

Yeah, think you're right actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 desmond tutu

was it not called o'neills or conways back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

The big house beside it was the original home of the Jameson family

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Hootanany wrote: »
    The big house beside it was the original jome of the Jameson family

Are you talking about the whiskey people, if you are then, no, that was Eglington road.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

nudger wrote: »
    Are you talking about the whiskey people, if you are then, no, that was Eglington road.
    What date did they move there? I found a reference to them building Montrose House in Donnybrook in 1837, but they seem to have lived in Prussia Street in the late 1700s, probably around the time John took over the Bow Street Distillery. There are Wexford connections as well, and they owned a few distilleries down that way too. Where does Eglinton Road fit in? The housing stock there now looks Victorian.

The big house, after the Jamesons left, was the City Arms hotel. The little pub which bears the name now looks to have been a much later add-on to the complex.

The Hotel was their House in 1700's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

BeerNut wrote: »
    What date did they move there? I found a reference to them building Montrose House in Donnybrook in 1837, but they seem to have lived in Prussia Street in the late 1700s, probably around the time John took over the Bow Street Distillery. There are Wexford connections as well, and they owned a few distilleries down that way too. Where does Eglinton Road fit in? The housing stock there now looks Victorian.

The big house, after the Jamesons left, was the City Arms hotel. The little pub which bears the name now looks to have been a much later add-on to the complex.

I met Lady Jameson in the mid 70s in the house on Eglington road, my aunt was the house cook.
    The house was in my eyes very old 1800s and Lady J looked a very good age and had lived there all her life.
    But if you are going back 250 years then I stand corrected.

Sorry Hootanany.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Clarke's City Arms is what it's known as in James Joyce's Ulysses. heard something about it not being able to be renamed as a result of it's mention in the book, but it attracting tons of visitors owing to same.

• Advertisement

david75 wrote: »
    Clarke's City Arms is what it's known as in James Joyce's Ulysses.
    It's not (here's the full searchable text), it's just the City Arms, and it's referring to the big hotel next door rather than the modern pub.
    --Not a word, says Joe. I was up at that meeting in the City Arms.

---What was that, Joe? says I.

--Cattle traders, says Joe, about the foot and mouth disease. I want togive the citizen the hard word about it.

is it not down as Clarkes City Arms? I might have the wrong book. Heard about it on the radio last year at some stage.

Have a look for yourself, but there are several references to it, none including the Clarke's name.

I wish. Sadly i've tried going at that book in several states of sobriety ad inebriation and it's beaten me everytime. Someday.

I wish.
    I linked to a text file of the whole thing a couple of posts ago. Ctrl+F and look for "City Arms". There are a few references, but none with Clarke's, that I could see.

My folks drink there, and i'm almost sure the pub was there before the hotel, for whatever that's worth. the hotel building is still there, not sure what function it serves now, if any.

Pissing match aside, a Joycean scholar on a radio show said because it's named in Ulysses, no changed can be made to the frontage of the pub. 'City Arms' is still above the door. Is all I was saying.

Pissing match aside, a Joycean scholar on a radio show said because it's named in Ulysses, no changed can be made to the frontage of the pub. 'City Arms' is still above the door. Is all I was saying.

It had a new Shopfront 2 years ago brand spanking one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mconroyryan

The City Arms hotel was owned by John Conroy (from Rosscommon) around 1910 & onwards, I believe Joyce wrote parts of Ulysses there, as he was his friend. How do I know, well now, my granfather was John Conroy's nephew.

• Advertisement

I believe Joyce wrote parts of Ulysses there
    Nah, Joyce left Ireland forever in 1912 and didn't start Ulysses until about 1915.

The City Arms hotel was owned by John Conroy (from Rosscommon) around 1910 & onwards, I believe Joyce wrote parts of Ulysses there, as he was his friend. How do I know, well now, my granfather was John Conroy's nephew.
    was it named conroys in the 60's to answer the original question.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭unir1916

was referred to over the years as the hayloft,think it had something to do with the cattlemarket that was on the site of the housing estate right behind the pub,but dont think this was ever its "offical"name

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sofiaghio

Hi!
    I wanted to know if anyone knew more about the owner of City of arms pub in Dublin. My great grandfather was Gerald Conroy and I heard that his father owned a pub in dublin... so I'm wondering now if John Conroy was his father or what not..
    Can anyone help please ?? :-)
    If so, thanks a bunch!!

i know someone that had a drink there in the sixties i will check it out for you

Thank you soo much!! I cant wait!!

the chap that i know said it was called conroys in the sixties.on two occasions he had a drink there way back then.he cant remember any names of the bar staff.his first time in the pub was about 1955 he would of been about 11 years old when his grandfather took him there,even back then he is convinced it was called conroys.i will try to find out more for you if i can.and let us know how you get on with your search sofiaghio

Thanks for the information! So far its been kind of difficult finding him. There are so many Conroys coming up. But I found his name in the electoral archives.. so there is some hope lol...

I know a barman that worked there for 22 years I will ask him when I see him again and post.

• Advertisement

Thank you!! :-D

Advertisement