Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

08 BMW 5 Series (E60) Installation of bluetooth on iDrive help

Options
  • 23-01-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I would really appreciate some help.

I have a 08 BMW 5 Series M Sport with iDrive (Eng Import). The car doesnt have bluetooth activated on the iDrive. I did a google search and I found information that a main dealer can activate the bluetooth in IDrive and you can then use your phone through the car without any third party equipment. My questions are:

1. Is this true?
    2. How much would a BMW dealer charge for this?

Note: I went to options and there is no "Bluetooth" setting so the car doesnt have it. In Communications it just displays phone numbers for BMW.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

rorypat wrote: »
    I would really appreciate some help.

I have a 08 BMW 5 Series M Sport with iDrive (Eng Import). The car doesnt have bluetooth activated on the iDrive. I did a google search and I found information that a main dealer can activate the bluetooth in IDrive and you can then use your phone through the car without any third party equipment. My questions are:

1. Is this true?
    2. How much would a BMW dealer charge for this?

Note: I went to options and there is no "Bluetooth" setting so the car doesnt have it. In Communications it just displays phone numbers for BMW.

Thanks in advance

Nope not true.
    for starters you need the bluetooth module that is in the boot beside the CD player etc
    It then needs to be wired from the boot to the dashboard.
    Its possible to retrofit bluetooth but its costly.

All E60 BMW's have iDrive and after you install the hardware, you have to get it coded to accept it.

better option = Parrot kit with interactive plug that allows you to use the steering wheel controls etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rorypat

Thanks kceire, the cd is in the glovebox but the same theory I guess. I checked those sites, all the sites seem to be for USA! Same cars so info is probably the same for here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

rorypat wrote: »
    Thanks kceire, the cd is in the glovebox but the same theory I guess. I checked those sites, all the sites seem to be for USA! Same cars so info is probably the same for here.

yeah forgot about the CD in the glovebox, my mistake

this is the fitting instructions : http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_new_Bluetooth_Installation_Instructions.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

I had Bluetooth but no iPod in my car I had a crowd install a Denison system to combat this - the installer asked me if I wanted Bluetooth installed so get a Denison 500 and the Bluetooth module installed.
    It's expensive though €400+ and as its not oem you may need to switch it off when you get the car services so it doesn't knock out the coding (the wouldn't have originally been coded and as soon as the option codes are checked an issue may arise)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 rorypat

Could u recommend someone for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

I looked into this in the past and JDM Priducts in Bray (www.jdmproducts.com/) looked like the best option in Ireland for Dension.

Advertisement