Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine not draining

Options
  • 23-01-2012 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,
    I've a problem with my Indesit Washing Machine, the water will not drain out of it, I've checked the filter and it's not blocked and I opened up the pump but nothing blocking it.
    could anyone recommend someone who might able to fix it and
    won't cost and an arm and a leg, I'm based near city centre in D3.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

How old is it? Any chance of it still being under warranty?

edit- same thing happened to my last washing machine, also an Indesit, it was 6 yrs old so forked out for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Stryker

it's bout 5 years old so not under warranty.
    may look at getting a new 1 but have a feeling it's just some kids socks
    and probably a bra underwire clogging it up somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If you're happy that the pump isn't blocked, disconnect the outlet hose from the pump and check that it's clear and not clogged with grease/detergent. Not the most pleasant but once it's off the pump, you should be able to blow freely through it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Avns1s wrote: »
    If you're happy that the pump isn't blocked, disconnect the outlet hose from the pump and check that it's clear and not clogged with grease/detergent. Not the most pleasant but once it's off the pump, you should be able to blow freely through it!

The OP can do this, but just lower the hose down to ground level and the water will pour out if the hose and pump are not blocked. If no water comes out, a blockage is likely.

Check the drain hose is not kinked either.

Use a basin to do this, rather than straight onto the floor.

There could be a pump filter behind a flap on the front of the machine which might be worth checking to see its not clogged. Opening this would release a load of water if you dont drain the machine as above.

Or the pump itself could be stuck, with something stuck in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The OP can do this, but just lower the hose down to ground level and the water will pour out if the hose and pump are not blocked. If no water comes out, a blockage is likely.
    Check the drain hose is not kinked either.

Use a basin to do this, rather than straight onto the floor.

There could be a pump filter behind a flap on the front of the machine which might be worth checking to see its not clogged. Opening this would release a load of water if you dont drain the machine as above.

Or the pump itself could be stuck, with something stuck in it.

Only thing is, I would think there could be water which will flow out from "outside" the blockage even if there is a blockage. I have even found nails in the bends of these pipes. How they get through the pump baffles me but still, there they were. Follow these nails with tissue, even well broken up tissue, and you have your blockage.

Hence, when the OP mentioned that they had "opened the pump" I figured they would have no problem disconnecting the pump end of the pipe and being 100% sure.

• Advertisement

Yea but the vast majority of water is in the drum. Any blockage preventing draining will be between the drum and the end of the drain hose.

It would be the water in the drum, being above the level of the drain lose when its on the ground, or into a basin, that would cause the flow out. A blockage anywhere along the drain outlet from the drum, will have very little water flowing out of the drain pipe.

All the pump does is enable draining of the water out of a drain pipe which is higher than the drum water level.

If the drain hose is lowered to ground level, either the water will flood out, or none will come out, or a trickle. Its just a quick check to see if the drain hose is blocked.

The pump itself might not be coming on, due to a problem with the timer program unit, or the pump, or wiring, connections, door switch etc.

The program timer can be manually turned to the drain position to check that its not the a problem with the timer stopping.

Thanks for the advice, I'm not what you would call 'handy'
    so think it's time to call in somebody who is.
    I was mainly relying on Youtube vides to open pump etc.
    If anyone know someone reliable who could take a look at it, I'd
    be interested in getting their details.

Stryker wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, I'm not what you would call 'handy'
    so think it's time to call in somebody who is.
    I was mainly relying on Youtube vides to open pump etc.
    If anyone know someone reliable who could take a look at it, I'd
    be interested in getting their details.

Have you tried lowering the drain pipe down to the ground, into something like a basin? At least that would tell you if its drain is blocked or not.

yeah, I manually remove the water from the drum, then open up filter
    and lower the pipe to get rid of excess water into a bowl.
    there's normally about 2 or 3pints of water stuck
    I've still been able to wash clothes but they're sodden when they come out.

Stryker wrote: »
    yeah, I manually remove the water from the drum, then open up filter
    and lower the pipe to get rid of excess water into a bowl.
    there's normally about 2 or 3pints of water stuck
    I've still been able to wash clothes but they're sodden when they come out.

You could probably manually advance the machine to the spin cycle after draining it.

Anyway the pump itself would have to be checked to see if it is being switched on, ie 230v to it when its supposed to be coming on. You might need someone with experience of repairing them for that alright.

• Advertisement

I was thinking the pump may not be working properly.
    I may just buy a new machines, appliance tend to only last about 5years these days- think the manufacturers build them for obsolesence once the warranties are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

OP, PM sent to you with some details.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

i have a similar issue with a whirlpool machine. whilst the water will drain out of the drum, it is not fully emptying from the bottom of the machine at the filter. i have checked & drained the filter. is this a pump issue? any way for a joe soap to address?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

bluestone wrote: »
    i have a similar issue with a whirlpool machine. whilst the water will drain out of the drum, it is not fully emptying from the bottom of the machine at the filter. i have checked & drained the filter. is this a pump issue? any way for a joe soap to address?

There is always water left in the filter, this keeps the pump primed.

Do you have a problem with how your machine is working ?

There is always water left in the filter, this keeps the pump primed.

Do you have a problem with how your machine is working ?

there is a stale smell of the clothes coming out of the machine after washing. i thought it might be related to this. i pulled out the waste hose from the drain pipe & there was a load of black gunk at the end of waste hose. i cleaned this off & poured jeyes fluid & boiling hot water down the drain pipe. thou8ght this had solved it but still not right.any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Your machine may have swollowed a sock or something small that has got stuck between the drum and the tub, you can try doing a wash with just bleach in the drum, if this fails it maybe an engineers job, sometimes it you place a torch into the tub and look through the small holes its possible to see items that get trapped on the heater or stats, sometimes they slip down the gap between the tub and the rubber door seal, can at times be reached with pointed nose pliers.

thanks billy will have a look at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I clear a fault like this nearly every week. My Mrs seems to have a knack of wedging socks in the drum outlet. IF its the same issue, this will sort it. Otherwise, look further down the piping.

Tilt the machine back and from underneath, you should be able to see the bottom of the drum. Attached is a large rubber connection which is usually held on by a pinch clip.

With an oven pan or bucket underneath, take off that connection. Water should pee out. If not look up into the drum and you may/should see a sock or item jammed in it plugging the hole. Pull it out and the water should drain (down you arm :D).

Put the connection back on and away it will go.

IF ITS THE SAME ISSUE.

Advertisement