Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potatoes

Options
  • 23-01-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭

I want to buy in some maincrop seed this week. Would you care to recommend a variety? I'm not a connoisseur or anything. Just looking for something that will boil/steam well for mashing, reliable heavy enough cropper with good storage. If it has good resistance then all the better but I am willing to spray when needed.
    Thanks a lot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

redser7 wrote: »
    I want to buy in some maincrop seed this week. Would you care to recommend a variety? I'm not a connoisseur or anything. Just looking for something that will boil/steam well for mashing, reliable heavy enough cropper with good storage. If it has good resistance then all the better but I am willing to spray when needed.
    Thanks a lot

You need Rooster!!! Simple im my view for mains. Believe me, I have had them all. I like Records and Kerrs Pink etc, BUT, for consistency, good cropping, fairly good blight resistance (better than most), Rooster won't let you down.
    I go for Home Guards for earlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

BeeDI wrote: »
    You need Rooster!!! Simple im my view for mains. Believe me, I have had them all. I like Records and Kerrs Pink etc, BUT, for consistency, good cropping, fairly good blight resistance (better than most), Rooster won't let you down.
    I go for Home Guards for earlies.
    Totally agree roosters are your all round spud, try british queens for earlys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks a lot. Looking good for the roosters so. Haven't much space for earlies in the ground so just did some Charlottes in pots in the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

The only thing about Roosters is that you can get them very cheaply in every shop as every farmer in the country seems to grow them ;)

I grow Cara as a maincrop which I find much superior, but everyones taste is different I suppose. I also grow Sharpes Express as an early and Caitriona as a second early. They all do well in my Clay soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I don't actually like potatoes so tbh I can't comment on taste but where I used to work Accord and Orla were always big sellers. Orla in particular I think is resistanent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks. It's my first year on the plot so prefer to go with tried and trusted and something I know we like. But will experiment with different varieties in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

If you have some room at your house you could try growing small numbers of different varieties in black out bags? Doesn't really take up any room and you might find one you would like for a main crop next year without having to give up space on the allotment.

If you do do this, make sure to start with the bag rolled down and as the plant grow roll up the edge and add more compost...this can give a better yield.

Completely off topic...I got the pollytunnel handbook...looks to be very useful thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

According to my girlfriend,Roosters are the way to go for a main crop.

Off topic slightly here.....................A lovely potatoe to eat is the "Sarpo" variety.

Blight resistant,but a tricky potatoe to cook/boil propperly.You need to pay close attention when doing them,as they can easily fall apart when boiling them.

But if you get them right,when boiling them,they are absolutely beautifull to eat.

And even better when roasted.:D

A little tip here with Sarpos,is to cut the foilage down a bit,at the end of August,so the spuds themselves dont get too big.

Regards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

+ 1 for the Sapro Mira spud. We dug up our potatoes in November we are still using ours, they are still perfect. Also they seem to be slug resistant too..

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

We dug up our Sante spuds in September and are still eating ours with many to go, but they are trying to chit now because it is mild so may have to turn them in to something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

last year grew rooster & records, both good crop & great taste, this year keeping rooster seed & buying kerr pinks.

Queens are the only ones for early, love a floury one

A

Advertisement