Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Needs Assistant (SNA)

Options
  • 23-01-2012 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hey everyone,

I am in my final year in my undergraduate course but I do not like it at all and am trying to figure out where to go with my life.

I would love to work with children so I considered primary teaching but the Hibernia course seems impossible to get into and I can't move to Limerick for the Mary I postgrad.

So I am thinking about doing a Special Needs Assistant course in Cork? As I said, I really would love to work in a primary school. I know the pay might not be great but to be honest that wouldn't bother me.

Only thing I would be worried about the recent cut backs in SNA so I don't want to waste another year or two doing a course if I can't get a job.

Has anyone done an SNA course recently or have any information for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The majority of SNAs in my (secondary) school have a FETAC Level 5 qualification in Childcare. The course takes a year full-time and qualifies you to work in creches as well. The costs are less than E400 and your local VEC will have details.

The job prospects aren't great at the moment, however, with SNAs being let go in many schools.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

To be honest, there are far more trained SNAs than jo bs and it's likely to be that way for a long, long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Forrest_Gump

I am a qualified SNA with over 12 year experience. I have recently lost my job and am looking to do a course to fill my time and have something on my cv. Any suggestions??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Forrest- I thought the redeployment panel was set up for SNAs including redundancy?

There are a rake of SNAs out there who have no qualification other than a short SNA course whilst others have degrees in childcare and the like. It varies immensely and the minimum requirements for the job are pathetic!

Advertisement