Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gort Na Coiribe

Options
  • 22-01-2012 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭

A mate has told me theres a curfew if you stay here and if your not back in time your locked out?surely this is pure muck?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

A mate has told me theres a curfew if you stay here and if your not back in time your locked out?surely this is pure muck?

Total ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

I heard something similar before.

I live here.. It's totally untrue.. There aren't even restrictions on when you can bring people in, unlike Cuirt or Corrib!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Yeah I heard they were going tightening up security after last year's College Week.

Reillyman wrote: »
    Yeah I heard they were going tightening up security after last year's College Week.

There's nothing different.
    Curfews and the likes would simply be taking the piss!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

ciano1 wrote: »
    There's nothing different.
    Curfews and the likes would simply be taking the piss!
    It's student accommodation. "Taking the piss" is pretty much the cornerstone of their business plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ftt_frank

I cant see them imposing one. I lived there 3 years ago. You need a swipe card to get into your house. If they imposed a curfew, they'd need to change every door card reader with a really expensive one.... Thats not going to happen.
    They cant lock the main gates either because professionals live in the apartments the terryland side of the grounds. Its only scare tactics. Security may be more vigilant after a certain time, asking visitors w/ beer for id and house cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

good news :) im hoping to do civil law next year and to be honest corrib village sounds woeful unless u wanna drink your whole year away!so yeah,applications open next week and thinking of putting a deposit down for gort,just making sure its not crazy on security or anything...also wondering is there much difference between a normal room and en suite rooms and twin rooms?wondering which one i should go for..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

good news :) im hoping to do civil law next year and to be honest corrib village sounds woeful unless u wanna drink your whole year away!so yeah,applications open next week and thinking of putting a deposit down for gort,just making sure its not crazy on security or anything...also wondering is there much difference between a normal room and en suite rooms and twin rooms?wondering which one i should go for..

Having lived in Corrib in first year and then Gort for second and third year I would strongly recommend Corrib for first year. Sure there's plenty of drinking and partying to be done but it's not like it's impossible to do a bit of work when you have to. You're a 5 minute walk max from the Cairnes building if you need somewhere quiet to study.

There were a few guys in my class who lived in Gort in first year and they didn't like it cos pretty much everyone else in the class lived on the other side of the river.

At the end of the day it's your call though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

good news :) im hoping to do civil law next year and to be honest corrib village sounds woeful unless u wanna drink your whole year away!
    And wouldn't that be an awful way to spend first-year!!

• Advertisement

yeah points takin i suppose i dont want to miss out on the house partis either
    ciano1 wrote: »
    I live here.. It's totally untrue.. There aren't even restrictions on when you can bring people in, unlike Cuirt or Corrib!

whats gort like vs corrib for drinkin/the craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭laoiserick

Heyy... Seriously considering NUIG next year to do Arts. Gort seems like the best place to stay (I've a cousin in corrib.... the craic sounds like it can be TOO lethal at times - I don't think I'd survive!)
    Anyways... When is too late to book a place in Gort?

as far as i know u can get a deposit in starting january 30th,see ya there :)

Thanks for that iamanengine... but I was just wondering when is too LATE to book Gort na Coiribe? You see I might change my mind about NUI Galway and don't want to put a deposit down and then not even go there.. You know what I mean?

laoiserick wrote: »
    Thanks for that iamanengine... but I was just wondering when is too LATE to book Gort na Coiribe? You see I might change my mind about NUI Galway and don't want to put a deposit down and then not even go there.. You know what I mean?

It's too late when all the places are booked, which tends to happen pretty quickly!

Apparently, on the day the bookings open, people who are already living in corrib start queueing up early in their morning to get their applications in for the next year!

If you want to be guaranteed a place, get your application in ASAP after booking opens

I see... Thanks Ciano1. I've got some serious thinking to do between now and the next few days so!

can u get a 2 bed apt in gort or how does it work??

• Registered Users Posts: 26 RadioNowhere

you can get 2 bedroom apartments in gort but it's 3 person house. one of the rooms is a single and one is a twin, with one common bathroom (:

hmm,was talkin to my cousin whos in 3rd year and he said to go for corrib because almost all 1s years live there and not to miss out,are there many/any 1st years in gort?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Shanee.

First years would be mad to go anywhere other than corrib..its the best place to be in first year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

hmm,was talkin to my cousin whos in 3rd year and he said to go for corrib because almost all 1s years live there and not to miss out,are there many/any 1st years in gort?

There's a few 1st years, but it's mostly 2nd and 3rd years, there's a strong possibility you'd end up being the only 1st year in the house.

I stayed in Corrib last year, and I'd reccomend it to every 1st year, you make so many friends and the craic is great. It's not half as crazy as people say it is either, it can be wild at times but it's far from 24/7 madness!

yup i think im gunna put a deposit down for corrib,anyone know when they start taking deposits??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 j.smith13

I wouldn't stay here. It is run by the most unprofessional people I have ever came across. My friend who lost his deposit asked me to email them for pictures of the 'damage'. They ended up sending pictures of different house, which was pretty obvious because of where the fixtures were. For example, a picture of a dirty oven was sent; the picture showed an oven placed beside the wall, my friend's one was in the middle of the counter and not beside the wall. He has complained to gort, and has not even got a reply. Both of us have phoned, to be told put it in writing to get a reply, and still after writing, no reply. They are out to scam vulnerable students, if you do stay here, be sure to take photos as soon as you move in and before you move out. Make sure and sign out on the day you leave and keep all evidence! You will definitely need it, I've heard loads of stories like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Im a fist year living in Gort na Corribe who sounds fairly similar to yourself-dont do it-go to Corrib-trust me!

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Im a fist year living in Gort na Corribe who sounds fairly similar to yourself-dont do it-go to Corrib-trust me!

Huh? has something drastically changed in the 2 years since I lived in Gort? :eek:

It's like a parallel NUIG universe! :P

Jaysus, Im living in Gort at the moment and I love it!

The staff have been really, really helpful, to our house at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Its horrible for meeting first years though I feel really isolated and it feels like a prison-its lovely-but lonely, I wish I was in with more 1st years.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 edelg

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Its horrible for meeting first years though I feel really isolated and it feels like a prison-its lovely-but lonely, I wish I was in with more 1st years.

Sounds the exact same as Cuirt, very prison-ey!

Advertisement