Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what would you do

Options
  • 22-01-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi
    im not pregnant yet but hope to be in next year
    my partner dosnt want to be in the maternity ward when i have the baby
    which is fair enough not easy thing to watch and i know can put some men off. my dad wasnt present at any of our births.
    my family are in galway and im in dublin couldnt really ask my family to come up here and wouldnt be comfortable with his mother etc
    so was thinking getting a doula and do midwife led birth if everythings ok
    either in holles street or mount caramel im fairly scared of it. would love to opt for c section i know the risks and what happens after but it expensive isnt it even with health insurancce

so few questions
    1. would a doula/midwife be ok
    2. if i wanted a c section in mount caramel/holles street how expensive is it and which health insurance is best..

thanks for help or advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Why couldn't you ask a member of your family, mother, sister, anything like that? I'm sure whoever you'd ask wouldn't mind coming over to you for something so important.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You never know, he might change his mind once you are pregnant and it feels a bit more real, especially if he is going to scans with you. Maybe he will get a bit more involved and not want to miss it?

My partner was always going to be there but he insisted he didn't want to see any of the gory bits and didn't want to cut the cord. When the time came he was down there behind the midwives telling me I was doing a great job, looking at everything and then cut the cord!

I think if you have the funds you should hire a doula anyway even if he is going to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Thanks for the replys my parents are elderly in there 80s and live in galways as I wouldn't know when id into labour I couldn't ask my siblings and take them away from their families
    Hope he changes his mind but will do doula If allowed by hospiral

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Ok when the time comes he may change
    Also when time comes il look into the doula midwife led gentle birth things to help me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My fella did not want to be in the labour ward (I'm due in less than a month). I spoke to my midwife and she said that we could encourage him to want to be there if he participated in the antenatal classes, and felt like he could be a support to me with my breathing. She also told him that he can stay up beside my head, that there is no need for him to get near the "business end" and that things don't get "gory" till the later stages of labour. Also, he can come and go out of the labour ward as he likes. So now, wth only a few weeks to go, he fully intends to be present at the birth.

You'ld never know how his mind will change once you are actually pregnant and he gets involved in your pregnancy.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement