Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Fiction Hacker Books

Options
  • 22-01-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering has anyone read any good books on hacking.
    I'm not looking for a guide to hacking but a book on the exploits of hackers/hacker groups or something along those lines.

There seems to be quite a few books out there on this topic but I get the feeling a lot of them aren't the best reads.

Can anyone recommend a book?

Cheers!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I enjoyed Kevin Mitnicks the Art of Intrusion and the Art of Deception, both were an enjoyable read. I've heard Ghost in the Wires is also very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Masters of Deception: The Gang That Ruled Cyberspace - I thoroughly recommend this. Really good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

All of the above mentions are good too - Ghost in the wires was especially good - but I found Mitnick's persona to be a bit weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Mitnick's books read like they were written for an 8 year old kid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ghost in the Wires is a great book, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I mean he's hardly a literary genius, just a normal bloke writing about the shít he got up to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

cheers for the suggestions! definitely gonna give these a look

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Cuckoo's Egg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cuckoo's_Egg_(book)

was very enjoyable. not hugely technical and not written specifically for a technical audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Absolute Zero was old when I read it over a decade ago but its still a good read.

+1 for Masters of Deceptions a great read. Am reading Ghost in the Wires right now. Its a good read but I hate the title.

I know you asked for non-fiction, but the "Stealing the Network" series of fiction is so close to reality you may as well call it a hacking manual. Its a really good read too.

Advertisement