Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get estimate for repairing bike

Options
  • 22-01-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Hi, checked to see if there were other threads that answered my question, but I couldn't see any.

Basically after 8 years accident-free riding, I went into the side of a car last week. The guy pulled out from a minor road across me, so it was his fault.
    Thankfully, the only physical issue for me is my thumb is swollen and killing me (might go get it xrayed this week). However, the bike's a mess. He doesn't seem to be contesting, but now wants to handle outside insurance company.

I don't really have a problem with that - but I think he hasn't got a clue how expensive it's likely to be. The accident was fairly near my home in Dun Laoghaire, so with a lot of grunt-work and my Dad's help we managed to get it home. Front wheel or forks are completely messed up and the rear wheel also seems to be at the wrong angle. There's other damage as well, but with the wheels messed up, it's not going to be possible to ride or push it to a mechanic to get a quote.

So does anyone know off hand if mechanics call out to give quotes for repairs, or will I have to hire a trailer to bring the bike somewhere? Or, as I've seen mentioned elsewhere, do I get a loss assessor or insurance adjustor?

I'm all for saving the other guy hassle, but I don't want to take on a lot of extra work because of his mistake!

Any advice or tales of similar experiences welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nc13

To be honest I would say with that amount of damage the bike is a write off. Is he willing to buy a new bike? Or just pay for repair? If its a write off I think he will have to go the insurance rouite!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

If it was me, I would pass his insurance details on to my insurer, and ask them to sort it.

Having said that, yes there are mechanics that will collect your bike and give you a quote for the damage.
    By the sounds of it your frame might be damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

I'd be all for helping a guy out as well, but it sounds like your bike will be written off....Unless he wants to buy a replacement bike for you i'd deffo get onto the insurance, also you could get a few bob for your injuries and loss of earnings...dont be too soft with him, it was his fault after all...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

To be honest I'd get onto your insurance company straight away.

One of the big problems with motorbike accidents is that people see a bike and see something small compared to a car and cannot comprehend the cost of damage. This is one of the reasons I think a lot of drivers don't seem too bothered about pulling out in front of bikes, they don't realise how expensive it is to even just replace the plastics nevermind anything else.

The only way of finding out if a mechanic will come out to you is by ringing, I'd say this varies from shop to shop. Don't forget most bike shops are closed on Mondays.

I hope you have this guy's contact information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Unless you are experienced in dealing with this sort of thing just inform your insurance company and let them deal with it. You are under no obligation to be helpful to him and if negotiations break down you will have delayed the process of sorting your bike considerably.

You don't say what the bike is or how old it is, it might be easy or difficult to fix but without more details its hard to advise you.

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Another bone of contention might arise when you ask for replacement gear, as you are entitled to. Other lad may not be too impressed with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I agree with some of the posts above. By what you've said about the wheels being out of alignment I'd say anyone you take it to is just going to say write off. The other driver won't want to know about any costs you incur getting the bike assessed so I'd say go through insurance. Safer for you in the long run. Plus, f**k them for not looking. What if you'd been seriously injured? Would you be so willing to forgive then?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

Any chance of an update on this....????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

This is one of the reasons I think a lot of drivers don't seem too bothered about pulling out in front of bikes, they don't realise how expensive it is to even just replace the plastics nevermind anything else.
    In fairness I doubt anyone is actually considering how much that will cost them before they pull out in front of someone. At least I really hope not.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Go the insurance company route, for a few reasons.

1. The other driver deserves higher insurance premiums. Might teach them to feckin' pay attention in future.

2. Less hassle for you, and you can be (more) sure of getting the right amount of compensation to cover repairs/cost of new bike as required.

3. It distorts statistics by keeping the insurance companies out of it. This guy caused an accident that injured a motorcyclist. I'd like that added to any statistics that are generated in the future.

4. You have a proper record of everything in case there are any other medical issues due to the crash that haven't surfaced yet.

Protect yourself. %^&$ the bad driver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement