Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time of year to plant conifer type trees?

Options
  • 22-01-2012 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,213 ✭✭✭✭

I have some conifers along the front of my garden, and they provide excellent shelter and privacy as they are quite full.

I want to plant some to match along one side which is quite bare. What are the best times of the year to plant, and are there any special instructions for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,207 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The winter months are fine for planting, especially February/March. The drying winds that we are having at the moment though are hard on conifers so you might wait until the weather is calmer. Don't wait any later than March, though container grown plants are more flexible regarding planting time.

Give them some support until they are settled, don't put anything like compost in the planting hole - you want them to spread their roots and they might get too comfortable in a cosy composty spot. Do keep watering them for the first year - a lot of water occasionally, not a sprinkle every day. Watering can sprinkler heads are a menace for most grown plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for that.

Any recommendations for a particular type? I'm sure there are loads of different breeds, the ones I currently have in my garden are dark green. I have seen quite a few ones that are lighter in colour.

I basically want something that will grow as fast as possible and grow thick to form a good wall of green to shield the rest of the garden off from the neighbours, as there is only a small fence between us.

I had considered griselinia type plants as I quite like them, but thought that keeping all the one type might improve the look of the garden.

Advertisement