Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apicetomy - what is it?

Options
  • 21-01-2012 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

I've been told I need the above op by my Irish dentist. Basically, I've already had root canal treatment on the tooth, but it now has an infection which needs to be taken care of.

I've never heard of this and will be seeking a 2nd opinion from my London dentist, but wanted to know if anyone else has undergone this treatment, what it involves and the potential cost. The Irish dentist reckons E800 - 1k:eek::eek:, my London dentist thinks about £400, but needs to examine me first which is fair enough.

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Wikipedia explains it fairly well. The americans call it apicoectomy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apicoectomy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Many thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

Had this done here on my front tooth about 6yrs ago, in conjunction with a (synthetic) bone graft and dental implant.

Previous history of failed root canals, infections and couple of crowns. Ongoing disaster. No problems since the surgery, thou don't like the feeling of the implant - for me it's like a constant upper pressure, as if I was pressing on the bottom of the tooth and trying to push it up into my head. I can recreate that permanent feeling by pushing up on the other front tooth. Am used to it now and liveable with.

Re the procedure itself;
    - took about an hour
    - most difficult part (for me) was local anaesthestic injections behind that front tooth to roof of mouth
    - radio playing was a great distraction
    - was offered to view the surgery a couple of times, didn't really appreciate that!
    - was given a prescription for a few days of antibiotics (prior to the procedure), and to start them that day. Don't know if that's the standard now.
    - was sore afterwards but well controlled with analgesia (painkillers)
    - very swollen upper lip x 4 days as this was held back during the surgery, so had it done on a Thursday
    - the area above that tooth is now flat (versus the usual 'bump' you can feel now), and discoloured, thou you can't see that.

Also had a 2nd opinion and was referred to The Dublin Dental Hospital for this. Raised eyebrows thou at this consult - transpired that the 1st opinion would normally have been the 2nd opinion!

Re cost, asked for a discount, was a FT student at the time, went down like a ton of bricks with the 2 practice owners, got some token amount 'off'. Would have to look at receipt, think around 3k in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Apical surgery is nothing to do with implants. Apical surgery is done when a root canal has not worked. There are bacteria in the root that cannot be cleaned out. The surgeon removed the infection at the tip of the root through a small home in the bone and then cuts the tip off the root to remove the bacterial and seals it.

Apical surgery is usually a last ditch effort to save a tooth instead of doing and implant. If done correctly by a experienced surgeon, dentist, endodontist it can have a good success rate.

apicoectomy.jpg

Advertisement