Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules questions regarding snooker:

Options
  • 21-01-2012 2:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6

Just a few questions regarding snooker rules.

If a player fouls- pots the with and lets say pots the blue while playing on a red. Does that mean the opposing player gets 9 points? or is it only the value of the highest foul which in this case would equal = 5?

Also if a player is snookered, how many times can he be asked to "re-take" the shot as he kept missing the object ball?

When can a free ball rule be brought into play?
    And in the free ball rule, if I decided I was to play a free ball after the opponent fouled can I use this chance to snooker him, or must I play to pot the free ball.

If a red is potted and the cue ball follows in, does the red ball be placed back on the table or left in the pocket and out of the game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If a player fouls- pots the with and lets say pots the blue while playing on a red. Does that mean the opposing player gets 9 points? or is it only the value of the highest foul which in this case would equal = 5?

Highest foul only, so in this case 5.
    Also if a player is snookered, how many times can he be asked to "re-take" the shot as he kept missing the object ball?
    A 'miss' will no longer be called when the scoreline dictates that a deliberate miss would no longer be a sensible move. This point is reached when 'a miss' would leave a player needing snookers. This may mean 5,10,15,20 successive misses however, there is no limit.
    And in the free ball rule, if I decided I was to play a free ball after the opponent fouled can I use this chance to snooker him, or must I play to pot the free ball.
    When your opponent has fouled and you can't see both sides of your next object ball (or balls if reds) then you have a free ball.
    You can snooker on a free ball but you can't use the ball you nominate as part of your snooker. So if you nominate green you can't roll behind the green but you can lay a snooker behind the yellow, but the green must not be a direct blocker either.
    If a red is potted and the cue ball follows in, does the red ball be placed back on the table or left in the pocket and out of the game?

A red can never come back onto the table (except in the extrememly rare occasions when a miss is also called on a foul shot in which a red has been potted.)
    But in your example the red stays in the pocket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

First answer would be a five point foul, if he knocked in the black it would be seven.

Second answer is the referees decision, if he deams the attempts are not good enough he can keep calling a miss until the snookers required stage is reached.

Third answer is a free ball comes into play when your opponent has fouled and you are snooker on the ball on, ball on is the next ball in sequence either one of the fifteen reds or the colours in sequence. You do not have to pot the free ball and you are entitled to play a snooker but not behind the nominated free ball.

Final answer is the red stays in the pocket and the cue ball is in hand which means it can be placed anywhere in the D. The only time an object ball is replaced after being potted on a foul shot is when it's a colour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 CountryLife

Thanks for the answers.

Just one more question.
    This is complicated to get my question across but I'll give it a go- this question relates to how many snookers are required.

Just that Ive played a number of games, was clearly miles ahead i.e 40 points of a difference with a few reds left and all the colours.

What is the ruling when it comes to when a game is over? as in when can I call the game over as to prevent the other player from catching me in a fluke of a snooker and coming back to pass me out. Reason I ask is on TV they state "Two snookers required" then later on they state "One snooker required"

If ye don't understand my question I will try and re-phrase it better just let me know.

Thanks for the answers.

Just one more question.
    This is complicated to get my question across but I'll give it a go- this question relates to how many snookers are required.

Just that Ive played a number of games, was clearly miles ahead i.e 40 points of a difference with a few reds left and all the colours.

What is the ruling when it comes to when a game is over? as in when can I call the game over as to prevent the other player from catching me in a fluke of a snooker and coming back to pass me out. Reason I ask is on TV they state "Two snookers required" then later on they state "One snooker required"

If ye don't understand my question I will try and re-phrase it better just let me know.

A frame can only end early in one of two ways..... a) one player concedes or b) only the black remains and there is 8 or more points difference.

So long as there is more than the black on the table a trailing player is free to play on for snookers as long as he wishes regardless of how far behind he is or how pointless the endeavour might seem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

A frame can only end early in one of two ways..... a) one player concedes or b) only the black remains and there is 8 or more points difference...

or c) a player misses a ball on, that can be hit directly, three times in a row.

(Sorry!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Esox Lucias

[QUOTE= Originally Posted by CountryLife viewpost.gif
    [/QUOTE]

In the amateur game this does not happen. Even in amateur competitions, it a rule for the pros game only.

I remember when we were kids playing snooker, we used to always try and get a really good snooker and make the other fella keep trying to get out of it, until we were so far ahead we would eventually come back to the table and pot a few balls.

Thankfully we found out before too long that this isn't allowed in amateur play.

So, stop snookering your mate and making him re-take it. You bully/cheat.

(Unless of course, you just wanted to know for when you are watching it on tv.)

In the amateur game this does not happen. Even in amateur competitions, it a rule for the pros game only.

I remember when we were kids playing snooker, we used to always try and get a really good snooker and make the other fella keep trying to get out of it, until we were so far ahead we would eventually come back to the table and pot a few balls.

Thankfully we found out before too long that this isn't allowed in amateur play.

So, stop snookering your mate and making him re-take it. You bully/cheat.

(Unless of course, you just wanted to know for when you are watching it on tv.)

The miss rule is in force in amateur tournaments in Ireland ranging from the Dublin Snooker Leagues to all events run under the control of RIBSA the republic of Ireland Billiards And Snooker Association. It is also in force in European and World Amateur events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Whenever myself and my friend play we have a rule between us that only 1 replace is allowed. Still gives an incentive to play a tricky snooker but replacing too many times would just ruin a game for basic players

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Whenever myself and my friend play we have a rule between us that only 1 replace is allowed. Still gives an incentive to play a tricky snooker but replacing too many times would just ruin a game for basic players

I wouldn't agree with that. We feel we have better sport with the retake rule as we play in a safe manner- try not to give the opposing player a chance to snooker you.
    Also if one player is a good bit ahead, the other player could play a good snooker and gain points back. Also it gives added influence to concentrate when trying to get out of a snooker.

And may I say we are only basic players. Miss alot and small breaks :D

The miss rule has always been a tricky subject even in the pro game, I've seen matches where a player would try a three/four cushion escape miss the object ball by a fraction only for a miss to be called. At the end of the day it's down to the referee wheter he deems it a genuine attempt or not.
    The same applies to amateur events, but I feel as the statdard of player lowers so should the application of the miss rule.
    I see no point in two friends who play a few sociable frames of snooker playing the miss rule.
    As I said the better the standard the more the miss rule should be played.

• Advertisement

zack01 wrote: »
    The miss rule has always been a tricky subject even in the pro game, I've seen matches where a player would try a three/four cushion escape miss the object ball by a fraction only for a miss to be called. At the end of the day it's down to the referee wheter he deems it a genuine attempt or not.
    The same applies to amateur events, but I feel as the statdard of player lowers so should the application of the miss rule.
    I see no point in two friends who play a few sociable frames of snooker playing the miss rule.
    As I said the better the standard the more the miss rule should be played.

But at the end of the day a miss is a miss, weather the person made a genuine attempt or not and missed by a fraction?

Hunter21 wrote: »
    But at the end of the day a miss is a miss, weather the person made a genuine attempt or not and missed by a fraction?

Are you saying then that unless your opponent gets out of a snooker you want a miss called?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭elgriff

"A miss is when the cue-ball fails to first contact a ball on and the referee considers that the striker has not made a good enough attempt to hit a ball on."

Are you saying then that unless your opponent gets out of a snooker you want a miss called?

No, I'm stating that a miss is a miss whether the referee thinks the person made a genuine attempt or not.
    Deeming it a genuine attempt is a grey area as it is a personal opinion the referee makes.
    Therefore thats why I stated- "A miss is a miss" no matter what the attempt is if you don't hit the nominated ball you were going for or a red or pack of reds.

If you don't understand my quotes then tell me and I'll try discuss my statements better.

Hunter21 wrote: »
    No, I'm stating that a miss is a miss whether the referee thinks the person made a genuine attempt or not.
    Deeming it a genuine attempt is a grey area as it is a personal opinion the referee makes.
    Therefore thats why I stated- "A miss is a miss" no matter what the attempt is if you don't hit the nominated ball you were going for or a red or pack of reds.

If you don't understand my quotes then tell me and I'll try discuss my statements better.

Countless instances over the years have seen the referees not call a miss, either simply because the snooker was nigh on impossible to get out of or the player did make a decent effort to escape from it.
    So basically stating that 'a miss is a miss' is slightly judgemental.
    All the referees use the same letter of the law and unlike other sports like football where some referees are easier than others the same cannot be said of snooker referees.
    Since its inception in snooker the miss rule has always had its critics but it has now been universally accepted in the game.

Hunter, thats sounds as if you could be spending a large amount of time resetting the balls. Time is money if you are paying for the lights.

Also it becomes a game of 'who can put their opponent in the most difficult snooker' rather than 'who can pot the most balls', and the game should really be about the latter when you are starting out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

or c) a player misses a ball on, that can be hit directly, three times in a row.

(Sorry!)

Just thought of another one here

d) A player fouls on the final black (i.e. the black is the only ball remaining)

Never knew about this rule until I saw Doherty pot the black and cue ball simultaneously in a respotted black ball game - I thought it would be respotted again, since Doherty (now seven points behind) could still tie. But nope, the rule is whoever is ahead after a foul on the final black, wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Just thought of another one here

d) A player fouls on the final black (i.e. the black is the only ball remaining)

Never knew about this rule until I saw Doherty pot the black and cue ball simultaneously in a respotted black ball game - I thought it would be respotted again, since Doherty (now seven points behind) could still tie. But nope, the rule is whoever is ahead after a foul on the final black, wins.
    Interesting. I never realised that was the case.

Pighead wrote: »
    Interesting. I never realised that was the case.

Yeah it's a weird one, not really sure why it exists.

I suppose it prevents you from just fouling to get out of a difficuilt position on a final black maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

With regards to the miss rule, a referee will keep calling a miss if a player is obviously going for the safest red, if there are easier reds that the player is neglecting to attempt to hit he will keep calling a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 poolcues

Highest foul only, so in this case 5.

A 'miss' will no longer be called when the scoreline dictates that a deliberate miss would no longer be a sensible move. This point is reached when 'a miss' would leave a player needing snookers. This may mean 5,10,15,20 successive misses however, there is no limit.

When your opponent has fouled and you can't see both sides of your next object ball (or balls if reds) then you have a free ball.
    You can snooker on a free ball but you can't use the ball you nominate as part of your snooker. So if you nominate green you can't roll behind the green but you can lay a snooker behind the yellow, but the green must not be a direct blocker either.

A red can never come back onto the table (except in the extrememly rare occasions when a miss is also called on a foul shot in which a red has been potted.)
    But in your example the red stays in the pocket.

Great info shared! Thanks for posting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Picture the following scenario,

I'm 8 points ahead with black remaining.

However, Coming to the table, white it tight to the cushion, angled on the Black.

Do the rules state I've won the frame or can the opposing player or ref make me play the shot.

syngindub wrote: »
    Picture the following scenario,

I'm 8 points ahead with black remaining.

However, Coming to the table, white it tight to the cushion, angled on the Black.

Do the rules state I've won the frame or can the opposing player or ref make me play the shot.

If your 8 points ahead on the black there is no need to come back to the table, you have already won the frame

Advertisement