Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 3: Rhubarb Soup with Quenelles

Options
  • 20-01-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭

After the intimal main courses, a dessert….. For something different.. Tangy, refreshing and light to clear the palate.

Trivia: Rhubarb is usually considered to be a vegetable; however, in the United States, a New York court decided in 1947 that since it was used in the United States as a fruit, it was to be counted as a fruit for the purposes of regulations and duties. A side effect was a reduction in taxes paid

A varied and extensive history from ancient China over 2700 years ago, used as a medicine and an expensive luxury food across Asia and Europe. History notes that Marco Polo is credited with bringing Rhubarb to Europe when its value was three times that of Opium.

Rhubarb Soup with quenelles

ingrediants_001.jpg

star_anise.jpg

Rhubarb Soup……. A dessert not a Starter with the French favourite, Quenelles… egg shaped meringues floating in it.

Pick a good white dry wine.. I use a chardonnay or when pushed a good Chablis. But thatis according to taste. The choice is purely down to preference. No strict dictates. But, ideally a dry white wine..

This will serve 4.

Puree
    28oz. 55ml dry white wine
    1lb 2 oz / 500g of Rhubarb chopped into 2cm pieces.
    2oz/55g caster sugar….. or to taste.
    2 star anise.
    Mint leaves to garnish.

rhubarb_002.jpg

puree_003.jpg

utensils_002.jpg

utensils.jpg

Meringue
    2 large egg whites
    A squeeze of lemon juice
    3.5oz/100g caster sugar
    Optional… a drop of vanilla essence. (Again to taste. )

Half pint /300ml whole milk.

Pour the wine and 1 pint/450 ml water into medium sized saucepan, bring to the boil. Add the Rhubarb, sugar and star anise, allow to si8mmer for ten minutes.
    Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool. Remove the star anise and puree the soup with a hand held blender.. Strain through a fine sieve and cool.
    Whisk the egg whites, together with the lemon juice and …optional vanilla essence… until they form soft peaks. Gradually whisk in the sugar a teaspoon at a time… When all the sugar is added, whisk for a further two minutes.. Until you have the thick and glossy meringue mixture.
    Pour the milk into a small saucepan… and bring to a gentle simmer.

The techie bit… using two dessert spoons form an egg shape (quenelles) with the spoons and slid into the milk. I’ve attached a note detailing the one spoon method. For anyone unfamiliar..

Depending on the size of the pan this will dictate how many at a time. Paoch themerinque , uncovered in the milk for 2 minutes. Turning halfway… Using a slotted spoon.. Remove the quenelles and allow to cool on a plate. Some of the milk will drain off.

Serve the soup warm or cold in bowls, .. Slide the quenelles into the soup and serve.
    With the quenelles on top, garnish with the mint leaves I usually serve one quenelle per bowl .. be ready for requests for more… .

trhubarb_004a.jpg

Notes:
    Quenelles
    Hold the spoon with the rounded bottom up, place the far edge of the spoon into the mixture, with the near edge close to the surface but not touching, and drag the spoon toward you. The mixture you’re scraping should curl with the shape of the spoon. As you drag, twist your wrist up until the quenelle folds over itself into an egg shape. For the best shape, drag only once through the mixture; dip and clean your spoon for each new quenelle. It takes some practice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is Rhubarb available this time of year?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Des wrote: »
    Is Rhubarb available this time of year?

I was wondering this too.

will have a look around tomorrow and see i can find it.

just checked our plant - nothing on that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Apparently there'll be a shortage of rhubarb this year. Rhubarb needs a cold frosty spell to start the growing cycle, and because of the really mild winter the output from the Rhubarb Triangle will be down.

Oh, and the recipe looks great OP. I look forward to trying it.

This looks really interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Oblomov wrote: »
    Puree
    28oz. 55ml dry white wine
    1lb 2 oz / 500g of Rhubarb chopped into 2cm pieces.
    2oz/55g caster sugar….. or to taste.
    2 star anise.
    Mint leaves to garnish.

Has to be a mistake here

28oz is 800+ml not 55. So unlikely to even be 550ml
    Confused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Haven't made this yet but when I do, I can guarantee I'll end up face down in my dish, slurping in the most unladylike fashion. :D

<3rhubarb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Well spotted, Mellor.

No relation to Oliver??

Go with the 28fl oz

Must have been sipping too much of the Chardonnay when I typed it out.

Was going to call it the deliberate to make sure....LOL

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

28fl oz is more than a bottle of wine. That's surely too much?
    I'd guess more like 2 fl oz which is close enough to 55ml.

This looks really intriguing but I can only get frozen rhubarb. Will it work with that?

2floz/55ml dry white wine

the correct... sorted out the original...

I've never tried "frozen"..But, if it's the normal stalks.. not a problem..

Tesco's offer tinned Rhubarb.... in light syrup.... Hmm not sure about that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Still waiting to try this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Saw rhubarb in M&S yesterday, if anyone's looking for it.

Bought some in Waitrose on Saturday... ....

Advertisement