Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Streaming Media Players .. thoughts?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi ... I just got a new TV (without VGA connection) so was looking into Media Streaming Devices ...

I was wondering if anyone has one and what are they like ... Ideally I'd like one that I'd be able to change DNS entries using 'unblock-us' and get free US streaming content as well and NetFlix etc ...

I was looking into either Roku or Boxee ... dunno tho ... 5.1 Surround and HDMI 1080P a must too ..

http://searchengineland.com/internet-to-tv-streaming-players-compared-60304

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hi

go for the Apple TV and Jailbreak it,i was very hesitant about getting it,but the possibilities are endless as to what it can do once Jailbroken,full access to US TV etc. once various addons are put in.

Rgds

Clinton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Sorry for going off topic but does anyone know if the media players can connect to Sky Go?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭clancynl

@basillarkin ... from all me reading on the topic I've not yet come across a media player that has Sky Go, but I stand to be corrected ... mainly HULU, NetFlix, Pandora and Amazon VOD ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭clancynl

@Clintondaly ,... cheers for the recommendation, but AppleTV only does 720P from what I can see .. was looking for a 1080P streamer ... Boxee seems to be the winner, followed by WDTV ... altho ... I'm considering a cheapo laptop with HDMI now ... the media streaming industry is more fledgling than I thought .. .

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

you could try a Sumvision Cyclone Micro media player - cheap and cheerful and is 1080p HDMI and plays MKV, AVI & H.264 - you can buy them here... www.lacuna.ie

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 AV Carlow

Hi

go for the Apple TV and Jailbreak it,i was very hesitant about getting it,but the possibilities are endless as to what it can do once Jailbroken,full access to US TV etc. once various addons are put in.

Rgds

Clinton

i'd second this option ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

new apple tv is 1080p now
    well, is is when it is actually available to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Thinking of jailbreaking an Apple TV. Wouldn't use one that wasn't as I don't think it compares to some other devices out there in terms of services. Being locked into Airplay and things like that don't take my fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

Apple TV straight out of the box is pretty much useless.

Its locked down to the point of simply being a payment hub for the itunes store , it wont play non itunes compatible stuff , wont access a nas , nothing!

Jailbroken and running alternative software and its probably as good as most other media streamers out there. A jailbreak for the new 1080p model may be a while in coming though.

For netflix , the only device I have that will reliably work with it ( with the US library that is ) is the PS3.

Netflix works fine on my ipad and iphone , but thats not much use for my TV.

I have a 2010 mac mini running both plex and xbmc , neither of those front ends have a stable netflix plugin and they dont work. The plex plugin doesnt even get off the starting block , the xbmc plugin crashes so often its unusable.

It works in the safari browser , but the missus is having none of that , learning a new OS to watch TV is out of the question for her.

Boxee , works to a point , accesses a nas unit no problem , but the vast majority of its steaming content apps dont work on this side of the water or if they do the quality sucks. I wouldnt recommend it.

The only one mentioned here that I dont have is a Roku , so cant say anything about that.

With media streamers most are designed with the US market in mind , various legal issues and imcompatibilites reduce most of them to simple content players over here , so choices are limited. Expect most of them to have problems with the likes of netflix and other services.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What about the WDTV Live? I think it supports Netflix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

I have a 2011 wdtv live and the first gen wdtv live hub , none of them support Netflix over here but apparently they do in the states.

I have both running the latest firmware.

I have heard that the very latest live unit supports Netflix but don't have that one.

The wdtv is excellent at playing your stored content and at accessing nas drives , for streaming services though , it is quite flaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've got the same issue right now. The choices here seem to be Apple TV, WD Live & Boxee... None seem to have built in storage. I'm living in the Middle East and theres not much choice...

I need something that works straight out of the box & doesn't need a PC to set up. Also, I intend to connect a hard drive, can I transfer files direct from the tablet (Transformer Prime)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

I have a WDTV Live streamer which I bought back in Feb this year and it takes the Unblock US config and works with US Netflix and BBC iPlayer :) It also streams my digital movie collection flawlessly. I am really happy with it.

Only down side was that a firmware upgrade from 1.6 to 1.7 took away BBC iPlayer access. But a simple roll back resolved that issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Bought the Sony SNP-N200 over the Apple TV in the end. Quite happy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 G00fey123

AV Carlow wrote: »
    i'd second this option ;)
    No jailbreak of ATV is required to get U.S. Netflix. I've recently done this with my ATV with 2 different services and there are alot of them out there. The procedure is the same for all of the services - just follow the instructions to change over the DNS address.
    I'm using UnoDNS currently (www.unotelly.com). Got 8 days free & all that was necessary was to register (required email address & no credit card info, then a free-limited service after the 8 days). Instructions available for each device are simple.
    I've set up my LG Smart TV to get the UK feed for Netflix & then attached the ATV to the same TV with the Uno DNS address to get U.S. feed. This way I get both US & UK. Then I've got the UnoDNS address on the Wii for the girls to get all their favourite Disney stuff through the Wii Netflix channel & then on their PC in the playroom to keep down the arguments over what to watch. After the free period you need to upgrade to continue getting access to netflix (< €4 per month), although there are several free channels available where no fee isa required at all.

Advertisement