Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good plan?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭

So, heading off for a couple of days R&R, last Friday of Feb, have decided that this is to be the day I quit after about 30yrs

Staying somewhere that's quite isolated so not easy nay impossible to buy a pack and will only be leaving the hotel once on Saturday evening for a bit of grub. I've bought Alan Carrs book that I plan to start reading about a week before I go so expect to arrive at destination with my last few in a box. I also have some microtabs in case of emergency :eek:

Suppose main worry would be that I turn into a cranky irritable sod by lunchtime Saturday, p***ing the missus off and ruining a potentially pleasant weekend

Any advice on this cunning plan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

So, heading off for a couple of days R&R, last Friday of Feb, have decided that this is to be the day I quit after about 30yrs

Staying somewhere that's quite isolated so not easy nay impossible to buy a pack and will only be leaving the hotel once on Saturday evening for a bit of grub. I've bought Alan Carrs book that I plan to start reading about a week before I go so expect to arrive at destination with my last few in a box. I also have some microtabs in case of emergency :eek:

Suppose main worry would be that I turn into a cranky irritable sod by lunchtime Saturday, p***ing the missus off and ruining a potentially pleasant weekend

Any advice on this cunning plan?

Are you intent on going cold turkey?

If not, I would highly recommend patches - they will take the edge of the cravings big time and you can slowly wean yourself off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Keyzer wrote: »
    Are you intent on going cold turkey?

If not, I would highly recommend patches - they will take the edge of the cravings big time and you can slowly wean yourself off them.

Have used patches in the past, the micro tabs (my crutch) will also take the edge off any cravings as needed BUT on the radio recently they were saying that studies show NRT prolongs the cravings as you are still putting nicotine into your system :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Everyone is different – my methods are far from guaranteed to help you but some of it might! I quit some years ago but it was a very gradual process:
    · First, set a reason for quitting. Mine was that I wanted to meet and play with my grand children and, maybe, great grandchildren.
    · I listed when I smoked and then cut out one each week for months.
    · When eventually down to four a day (tea-breaks – the most difficult cigarettes to give up), I caught flu. We all know how awful cigarettes taste when dosed with flu so I didn’t smoke for maybe four days.
    · Then I got sneaky: I went back to work but said NOTHING to my workmates about not smoking, making excuses at every tea-break, drinking fruit juice instead of tea, avoiding smoking areas and situations. When you’re trying to quit, your workmates will form two groups, i.e. supporters and mockers but BOTH groups remind you about cigarettes! Soon, four non-smoking days turned to a week, then a month, etc., with everyday getting easier.
    · I kept a pack of Digestives in my desk as substitute cigarettes, didn’t gain weight and finally broke the link between tea and a cigarette.
    · Also, I kept a full and quite disgusting ashtray in my lounge for weeks (I was living alone at that time!) and a few stale cigarettes in an open packet. This sight, and the thought of the sick chesty taste I would experience if I lit up, helped a lot.
    · I didn’t use patches or alternative sources of nicotine – that whole process (purchase, application, removal, replacement, etc) would be a constant reminder of what I was trying to forget!

Crankiness happens if you’re not concentrating on something else, so keep busy.
    Finally, you (and I) smoked for a long time. Nico is an immensely powerful drug. It had you in its grip and will NEVER leave you alone entirely. Get used to having to avoid smoking areas or situations forever.

I wish you every success and, by the way, I’ve just sailed through a medical and I believe that my first grand-child is being planned!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭The Irish Riddler

Wait till the day you get back from the trip. Going cold turkey will make the fuse short and there is no point treating the missus to a weekend away to turn into a demon on day 2.

quitting should be associated with a positive feeling imo.

or quit right now. Break up your remaining smokes. What difference is 2 weekr going to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Wait till the day you get back from the trip. Going cold turkey will make the fuse short and there is no point treating the missus to a weekend away to turn into a demon on day 2.

quitting should be associated with a positive feeling imo.

or quit right now. Break up your remaining smokes. What difference is 2 weekr going to make?

Back to work on the Monday, work set up allows easy access to smoke time, suppose the thinking behind the plan was, relaxed atmosphere for a couple of days, no access to cigs for a couple of days (hoping most of the nicotine out of system by then) after that it's pretty much in the head I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Oh the amount of times I thought nothing short of been marooned on a remote isle would work :) maybe that's what it will take eventually but for now fifth wk is up today.
    If you are comfortable with that plan then go for it, everyone has their own take on it. The right plan is the one that eventually works for you. I don't think any attempt however short is a waste, it all goes towards the conditioning needed to eventually "get so fed up of giving up, one gives up" IMO . Have you tasted those tabs? ,I thought they were vile.
    So it might take some of the fun out of a naughty wk end but it's the big picture that counts ,all the best.

Advertisement