Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about jobseekers allowance

Options
  • 19-01-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Just collected my first jobseekers allowance payment and I'm a little confused.
    When I got results of my means test, they calculated my means as 168 which left me with payment of 20, which is what I was expecting today (miniscule I know, but I've had my business proposal for Back to Work Enterprise approved and every cent counts right now!).

Anyhoo, I was given 144.80. It says on receipt that flat rate was for 312.80 (which when deducting their calculated means leaves 144.80). I was assessed with my partner, who is working full time, but I assumed that the 310 was based on both our income.

Is this a mistake on their part, or am I just being a bit thick about it all? I'm hoping I am!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

confucious wrote: »
    Hey,

Just collected my first jobseekers allowance payment and I'm a little confused.
    When I got results of my means test, they calculated my means as 168 which left me with payment of 20, which is what I was expecting today (miniscule I know, but I've had my business proposal for Back to Work Enterprise approved and every cent counts right now!).

Anyhoo, I was given 144.80. It says on receipt that flat rate was for 312.80 (which when deducting their calculated means leaves 144.80). I was assessed with my partner, who is working full time, but I assumed that the 310 was based on both our income.

Is this a mistake on their part, or am I just being a bit thick about it all? I'm hoping I am!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

There is no mistake. When calculating for jobseekers allowance you get a personal rate and a rate for an adult dependant and child dependant if applicable. So your flat rate is €312.80 less the means calculated against you
    equals payment of €144.80.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

fantastic - thanks for clearing that up!

It's a relief - I was starting to despair at the thought of starting up the business with only 20€ a week!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

I just collected my first job seekers allwoance also today and have same situation as the confused guest who started this thread living with workin partner etc. my means was meant to be only 30 but today i got 138.So I am just wondering is this what I can expect every week or is this just cause they back dated it from when I finished college.

I know this has been answerd but would appreciate a bit more explanation as I realy am confused and websites for citizen info and social welfare are not very clear at all.

all answers greatly appreciated.
    jenny

Advertisement