Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] West Clare railway link for Kilrush.

Options
  • 19-01-2012 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

PLANS HAVE been announced to extend the famous west Clare railway into the market town of Kilrush within the next two years.

Jackie Whelan, originally of the committee for the Restoration of the West Clare Railway, said yesterday that after Kilrush, he was planning to extend the line to Kilkee and to provide a rail-link to the €150 million Doonbeg Golf Club resort on the Clare coast.

Some 2.5km of track of the restored railway are already in place at Moyasta, mid-distance between Kilkee and Kilrush.

In August 2009, Mr Whelan rejuvenated the west Clare railway with the completion of the restoration project on the 120-year old Slieve Callan steam engine.

If this dose go ahead it will probably have a greater passenger capacity than the WRC. :p

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0117/1224310362612.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

How this scheme is expected to be viable in the long term is beyond me. One only has to look at the far busier tourist area around Tralee to see that the numbers just don't stack up. Mr.Whelan must know something that the rest of us don't. :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvsMRoYt5iUmENdVCPejcM_18a4UAv1sBx2pd-D8nOng0SEyT9kQ

Here's some feedback from TripAdvisor for his existing operation.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186595-d1551466-Reviews-West_Clare_Railway-County_Clare.html I particularly like the first one - it wasn't written by me as I have never been down there since the line reopened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

seems to have done all the work himself too:D

corktina wrote: »
    seems to have done all the work himself too:D

A bit like the man at Dromod! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

I have no personal axe to grind, being too young to have been part of the ill fated GSRPS (prob. better off!) but last year had a guest from the uk and thought we might travel up and have a look at Moyasta, having got an assurance from the 'new' WCR that there would be at least someone in attendance on the day.
    Guess what, place was locked up, nothing, nobody, sweet bugger-all, and not even a note of explanation on the door. A couple with young children had travelled up from Tralee, having got a similar assurance were also disappointed. Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

dmcronin wrote: »
    I have no personal axe to grind, being too young to have been part of the ill fated GSRPS (prob. better off!) but last year had a guest from the uk and thought we might travel up and have a look at Moyasta, having got an assurance from the 'new' WCR that there would be at least someone in attendance on the day.
    Guess what, place was locked up, nothing, nobody, sweet bugger-all, and not even a note of explanation on the door. A couple with young children had travelled up from Tralee, having got a similar assurance were also disappointed. Nice one.

This is exactly what happens when we have our sole national railway museum in the ar*ehole of nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

It is irrelevant whether it was in an ar*ehole or in the middle of our so-called capital, my beef is that it was shut and we had a wasted journey in spite of being told it was to be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Who said it was our nationalrailway museum?

roundymac wrote: »

Mr.Whelan seems to think it will be: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055758967 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

roundymac wrote: »
    I guess this would qualify.

“Ireland’s largest road and rail museum”

Advertisement