Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damien Mulley on Morning Ireland

Options
  • 19-01-2012 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Did anyone hear Damien's live interview on Morning Ireland this morning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes

Not really anything to do with Internet or Broadband as such. It was about the idea of a Universal Broadcast "tax" instead of a TV licence for Receivers. The program didn't mention that a Laptop with a DTT dongle is covered by existing TV licence, nor make it clear that most of this "so called" TV watching is neither live nor TV quality.

I was baffled. Don't RTE have stats of how many people use RTE player? How would Damien know how many people watch TV on a Laptop (of what ever kind)?

It was a very poorly done piece with a short interview with Damien thrown in at the end. There was nothing new in it. Old news as there is still no indication as to how it would be collected or how it would be calculated (per person or per premises?) or what exemptions if any. "It won't affect anyone already paying a TV Licence" they said, but that may not be true.

What the Minister actually said
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76598237&postcount=204

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

I was a bit surprised that he didn't point out that many irish internet users do not access RTE online content at all, or that RTE could quite easily put their site behind a pay-wall. In fact, all he seemed to say was "many people use the internet to access media instead of a TV", and "the RTE website gets a lot of hits"... leaving the implication hanging that somehow internet users all use RTE and therefore should be taxed. I'm sure Montrose was quite satisfied.

Lots of users don't access ANY online video content

1) Their cap
    2) Their speed
    3) tinny speakers that are worse than 1920s headphones

I find video content too time consuming, I use the Internet to read.
    If I want to relax I use big TV, decent speakers and Broadcast or Disc media.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Why do they still use this guy?

I know how to use twitter....well done....

Fergus wrote: »
    ... leaving the implication hanging that somehow internet users all use RTE and therefore should be taxed. ...

TV licence applies if you never watch RTE and started before RTE TV, was mooted to start about 6 years earlier still. So in the "logic" of Government, they do mean "watching Broadcast on Internet" and not "Watching RTE".

There is of course TG4 too. Possibly later after TG4 some debt ridden (due to leveraged buy out) poor copy of ITV is transmitting, but 20% of Analogue viewers can't receive it. 100% of Satellite viewers can get ITV free.

Main thread on TV licence here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=2055794011

If BAI/BCI had any nerve they would have pulled TV3's licence years ago due to poor content and breaking coverage terms of licence and offered it up again. Also "leveraged buyouts" are little more than Theft and should be illegal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement