Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolant system refill after leak.

Options
  • 19-01-2012 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Found a puddle beside the bike yesterday and traced it to a hose under the airbox having become disconnected. Is it just a matter of reconnecting or do I need to do anything extra in particular seeing as the system is now more or less empty and hasn't been drained from the lowest point? What ratio of water/antifreeze do I need to add? Bike is a 5k SV 650s.
    As an aside the hose ran into the airbox and another runs out of it just beside, what is the purpose of running engine coolant through the airbox?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It is common to run coolant through carbs/throttle bodies to keep them warm but I've never seen coolant in an airbox. What size hose is it and where is the other end connected? Are you sure its not the overflow from the radiator?

To refill the system, just buy premixed coolant from an auto factors - there is no need to go mixing antifreeze/water unless you are heading to the top of Norway any time soon.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

It seems that this may be two separate issues, a loose breather and a coolant leak. I'm going to reconnect everything now and refill the coolant in the hope of finding a leak elsewhere. Is it just a matter of refilling the coolant reservoir? It doesn't look like it is the highpoint of the system i.e. the reservoir looks to be lower than the top of the rad.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    It seems that this may be two separate issues, a loose breather and a coolant leak. I'm going to reconnect everything now and refill the coolant in the hope of finding a leak elsewhere. Is it just a matter of refilling the coolant reservoir? It doesn't look like it is the highpoint of the system i.e. the reservoir looks to be lower than the top of the rad.

You need to refill the system through the rad cap - probably under the petrol tank (I'm not familiar with the SV) and keep an eye on the reservoir so that it is half full before you warm the engine.

'c

Well? What did you find?

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

BTW, on the bandit there is a hose that comes from the airbox that is used to drain rain water from the box. I have to take the cap off if once in awhile (just beside the rear brake pedal) to run the water out.

You might have a similar set up on the SV.

• Advertisement

I'm just after completely flushing the coolant system and refilled it with new fluid, reattached the hose also. Will let it sit overnight and hopefully there is no puddle in the morning!

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I'm just after completely flushing the coolant system and refilled it with new fluid, reattached the hose also. Will let it sit overnight and hopefully there is no puddle in the morning!

You'll need to start it, warm it and let the system pressurise. The real test comes when it has been ticking over long enough for the colling fan to come on and go off at least twice.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

You'll need to start it, warm it and let the system pressurise. The real test comes when it has been ticking over long enough for the colling fan to come on and go off at least twice.

'cptr

As above, then park it up overnight on some fresh newspaper, and see how that looks in the morning :)

So I ran it last night up to 60C, left it overnight and then did the same again today and there have been no leaks. I'll let it warm up till the fan comes on again (100C?) before I deem it safe to ride?

So I took it for a decent spin (it still didn't reach 100C) so when I got home I left it idling in the driveway and I kept an eye on everything. Temp eventually reached 100C and the fan came on and it cooled down fairly rapidly so everything seemed to be working normally. After I let this happen twice I turned it off and looked under the bike, there was a very small puddle (4 or 5 drops) under the bike, it was coming out of another breather pipe (the one down beside the oil drain bolt in the sump) - it was definitely coming out of this pipe, the outside of the pipe was dry. There is no leakage when the bike isn't running but the coolant does seem to be slowly draining. At the moment I'm keeping an eye on the coolant level, have topped it up since and the temperatures are fine. Any ideas how to go about tracing the leak before I just give up and drop it into the garage (am smashed broke!):o

• Advertisement
Advertisement