Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on what type of bike

Options
  • 19-01-2012 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi to all

Just looking for some advice on which road bike to get.
    Me Im 5 ft 11.5" and 15.8st if tis helps.
    Ive put on alot of weight in the last few months so looking to get rid of it and cycling does it fast for me, i have a giant mountain bike which i use through the forest and bog, but looking to get a road bike for couple of hundred euro through the BTW scheme.
    I could easy do 30 mile on the road on the mtb no prob so looking to increase this to 60 mile an evening 2 or 3 times a week,

So any suggestion on what bike would be good for my size, Im not sure but frame size either or tires

And does any now anything about the Ktm bikes and they look pretty cool.

Any help would be much appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

KTM used to make bicycles then went into moto-x bikes and apparently make very good moto-x bikes. Now they're back doing bicycles again.

In the Strada range you're probably a 57, you could try a 55 or 59 if it wasn't comfortable.

http://www.ktm-bikes.at/road/road/road-aluminium/Strada1000.php?lang=EN

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭AverageJoe82

Thanks pete, but is there a certain size id need to go for, that would suit my body weight and height, and what make of bike would be suited for me or could you reckomend 1

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

The best thing is to go into your local bike shop and sit on a few. I reckon that with the BTW scheme you should look at something around the €600 mark. Any less than that and you'll regret not getting something a bit better. If you're prepared to spend 800-900 then there are some pretty tasty starter bikes available like this Felt, this Lapierre, or this Cube.

You'd need to budget about €50 to €70 more for pedals (and €120 for shoes if you go the clipless route)

Take your time and don't be rushed into a decision. Visit more than one shop and compare prices and advice. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Thanks pete, but is there a certain size id need to go for, that would suit my body weight and height, and what make of bike would be suited for me or could you reckomend 1

When petethedrummer said 57, he was referring to frame size. In terms of your weight, it's not that heavy; most entry level stuff would handle it ok.

The cheaper bikes (i.e., less than €600) will probably give you a headache with fickle wheels. Their spokes will break and the wheels will go out of true quite easy. Over the lifetime of the bike, it's better to spend an extra few hundred (€800-900) to get parts that, while still aimed at an entry level market, are that bit better put together and thought out, and tend to make up their value over time. I know it can be difficult to tell in a bike shop why that is the case, almost every cyclist going will say something similar.

Obviously though, a budget is a budget. Whatever you get, enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭AverageJoe82

Thanks for all the advice lads, ya i can use the btw thing and ive a budget of 1000euro so hopefully get something good, and my sister just told me her friend owns the cycleinn in tallaght so hopefully he will sort me out

• Advertisement
Advertisement