Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on My New programme (how bad is it to have to use smith machine for bench?)

Options
  • 18-01-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi posted this on Health and fitness but wasnt getting much feedback, only saw that there was a strength forum just now, might be more suited.

Hey looking for feedback on this programme
    Started into a new programme last week. Had gotten a bit out of shape strength wise recently so decided to hit the gym in the new year. (I would do quite a bit of swimming so general fitness is good)
    I'm 6 foot and 13 stone, and aiming to increase strength and put on a bit of weight (muscle obv!) with this programme.
    The gym i'm using is anew one that seems to be the best for weights in the area. They have ample free weights, a squat rack, cable station, pull up and dip bars as well as various other weight machines. Only problem is there is no powerack, so Benches will have to be done on a smith machine which is not ideal, but none of the other gyms in this town have even a squat rack, and many dont even have pull up or dip bars so I'll just have to live with it

Programme (3 days a week)
    3X 8 Squats (currently 60KG)
    3X 6 Deadlift 60KG (swapping this out for power cleans one day a week)
    3X 6 Bench press (55KG) - thinking of swapping this out for Barbell shoulder press one day a week to make up for the fact I'm using a smith machine for bench. Thoughts?
    3X BW Chin ups (as many as i can do, which is currently 5, 3, 2)
    3X BW 15 Dips

Then finish up with Core work somedays Hanging leg raises and planks, other days some side to side thingy with a weight plate.
    Also throwing in some EZ-Bar curls the odd day (stuff like 21's etc)

I know squat , Deadlift weights are kinda low and close to my bench but I have been guilty of blasting out of the blocks and lifting too much too soon in the past so I guess theres no harm starting slow here.
    Wondering how much I need to be upping the weight every week? Or should I be upping it every session. Also wondering is there some good Cable workouts I should throw in (i've heard these can be pretty good for strength)

Feedback appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

What about dumbbells for benching? You could also try weighted dips as your main chest exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭chadmustang

Would yo not break up the SQ, DL, and BP over the 3 days so you can focus on each one individually?
    I second the idea of DBs for benching and alternating with a Barbell Overhead press every other week.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭captainkeg

Would yo not break up the SQ, DL, and BP over the 3 days so you can focus on each one individually?
    I second the idea of DBs for benching and alternating with a Barbell Overhead press every other week.

Took the Idea of doing it all together like that from Starting Strength, with a day rest in between each sesh and 2 off at the weekend it shouldnt be too bad. Will try the DB press and weighted dips for chest alright. Maybe might mix in some front squats or DB lunges one of the days instead of the back squats.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Doing the same thing every time you go into the gym isn't optimal. You'll get away with it at first because you're not really stressing your body too much but as you increase the weight, you will need longer recovery periods between working body parts. The only exercise you do 3 times per week in starting strength is squats, and even then you eventually need to substitute light squat days to allow for sufficient recovery.

It would be a good idea to add the overhead press and maybe some rows.

Advertisement