Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Luther King........Breaking the Law respectfully.

Options
  • 18-01-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭

As the topic of breaking the law is going to be on the agenda for some time to come it is important that those who admire Martin Luther King quote him accurately

Martin Luther King, in his famous "Letter from the Birmingham Jail," called on all Americans to actively but peacefully oppose laws that were morally wrong. King wrote:

"There are just laws and there are unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that an unjust law is no law at all... One who breaks an unjust law must do it openly, lovingly...I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and willingly accepts the penalty by staying in jail to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the very highest respect for law."

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Refreshingly uplifting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Hippy bullshiit..at least King got what was coming to him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i have a dreamcast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I heard he was a homosexual womaniser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

i have a dreamcast

... and one day, my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their K/D ratio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

Meh lot of respect for the man . I have decided to stick with love hate is too hard a burden to bear
    LEGEND

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Degsy wrote: »

Continually amazing how much nonsense you talk.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Charlie Chaplin had it right, man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Ray Burke T.D. - Flood/Mahon TribunalBurke did not purchase his home, Briargate, in 1973 as a normal commercial transaction but a benefit conferred to ensure that Burke would act in the best interests of Oakpark Developments when performing his public duties.Burke opened and maintained offshore bank accounts in the Isle of Man for the purpose of receiving and concealing corrupt payments.Burke received a corrupt payment of £35,000 on May 26, 1989 in connection with the granting of a broadcasting license to Century Radio.The payment to Burke on June 15, 1989 which James Gogarty witnessed was not a political donation but was paid to secure Burke's political support and was a corrupt payment
    Liam Lawlor T.D. - accused of corrupt practices in relation to planning and development. He was jailed repeatedly for refusal to cooperate with the Flood/Mahon Tribunal.

Michael Lowry T.D. - The investigation of payments to Lowry is one of the remits of the Moriarty Tribunal which sat from 1997 to 2011. In early 2007, Lowry announced that he had made a full and final settlement of all outstanding payments with the Revenue Commissioners in response to the findings concerning his tax evasion. His company Garuda had to pay up €1.2 million after a Revenue audit. He also paid almost €200,000 to settle his personal taxes.In March 2011 the second and final report from the Moriarty Tribunal found that, during his time as Communications Minister, Michael Lowry assisted businessman Denis O'Brien's consortium Esat Digiphone in acquiring a lucrative mobile phone licence in the mid-90s which ultimately made O'Brien one of the richest men in Ireland.It concluded that it is 'beyond doubt' that Lowry gave what it termed 'substantive information to Denis O'Brien, of significant value and assistance to him in securing the licence'. The Tribunal report found that Lowry, displayed 'an appreciable interest' in the process and had 'irregular interactions with interested parties at its most sensitive stages'. It also found that one of Lowry's interventions, which cut the selection process to the advantage of Esat, was 'disgraceful' and 'insidious', and that he had misled the Government, his party leader John Bruton and his own civil servants to influence the selection process in Esat's favour
    Viva la República!!
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/political-reform/163163-irish-justice-injustice-we-nation-just-unjust-people.html

We're still paying pensions for some of these people. That's OK, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Xenophile wrote: »
    As the topic of breaking the law is going to be on the agenda for some time to come

Sorry i slept in for the boards.ie meeting were the agenda was discussed for the week, could anyone PM me it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

We all get what's coming to us eventually;)
    Feel the love Degsy:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Blacks are like women. n imma gon finish..

if they weren't treated like shìte back then they wouldn't be put up on a pedestal today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Xenophile wrote: »
    As the topic of breaking the law is going to be on the agenda for some time to come it is important that those who admire Martin Luther King quote him accurately

Martin Luther King, in his famous "Letter from the Birmingham Jail," called on all Americans to actively but peacefully oppose laws that were morally wrong. King wrote:

"There are just laws and there are unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that an unjust law is no law at all... One who breaks an unjust law must do it openly, lovingly...I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and willingly accepts the penalty by staying in jail to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the very highest respect for law."

Hard to be sure that King wrote anything to be honest...he was a notorious plagiarist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

King got what was coming to him!
    Don't make me take it back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Hard to be sure that King wrote anything to be honest...he was a notorious plagiarist.

And womanising homosexual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Blacks are like women. n imma gon finish..

if they weren't treated like shìte back then they wouldn't be put up on a pedestal today.
    Wtf?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Obvious wind-up attempt is obvious (yet somewhat successful).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

"A man can't ride you unless your back is bent."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Sindri wrote: »
    a homosexual womaniser.

Does not compute :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Has anyone ever read Martin Luther King's autobiography? One thing that struck me about King whenever he spoke of his opponents, is the disconcerting reminder that most of us - many white and middle class - would probably have been opposed to Martin Luther King, had we belonged to 1950's and 60's America.

As a 25 year old white man, I probably would have been among his most loudmouth and ignorant opponents.

Makes you wonder what other outstanding political or social icons have not come along - and whether we are still ignorantly supporting the injustices they might, like Martin Luther King, so eloquently have railed against.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

You're nothing but a **** troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Obvious wind-up attempt is obvious (yet somewhat successful).

Successful at exposing the poster as the the wind up artist that he is.

The amount of begrudgery in this thread is unreal . The man had more charisma than i warrent any of u have and truely changed millions of peoples lives .

catthinkin wrote: »
    The amount of begrudgery in this thread is unreal . The man had more charisma than i warrent any of u have and truely changed millions of peoples lives .

I am far more charismatic than Dr King.

Plus i'm white.

Double win for me.

Hilarious add that :/

catthinkin wrote: »
    Hilarious add that :/

If you take things in AH too seriously you should always expect someone to try and wind you up a little.

In this case, me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I wonder if Martin Luther King would pay the household charge/broadcast charge? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I lolled.

Actually, I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Martin Luther King was an amazing man, way ahead of his time as was Robert Kennedy.

I remember a bedsit in Rathmines in the early 90's and having the Proclamation and the "I have a dream" speech on my wall.

Both are lost on so, so, so many people these days! The rights part has been hijacked and the responsibility part forgotten.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

K-9 wrote: »
    Martin Luther King was an amazing man, way ahead of his time as was Robert Kennedy.

I remember a bedsit in Rathmines in the early 90's and having the Proclamation and the "I have a dream" speech on my wall.

Both are lost on so, so, so many people these days! The rights part has been hijacked and the responsibility part forgotten.

Cool story, got any more?

Advertisement