Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shrews

Options
  • 18-01-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭

I placed a few mouse traps about the house > garage, attic and back hall.

In all but one shrews were caught in all of them, feel bad about it now:( they're protected aren't they?

Don't know whether i should set any more traps but they're droppings are all over the place and this can't be healthy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

what did you bait the trap/s with?

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

cheese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Pissmire

There are live traps available, ebay and the like. Gives you the option of releasing whatever's in it. If you can't check the trap frequently, at least 12 hourly, make sure you put plenty of food in it, shrews don't last long without food. You can also put in a small ball of hay/dried grass, the animal will be less stressed if it can sleep.

Hope it's ok to post link, I'm not the seller by the way.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-X-REUSEABLE-HUMANE-LIVE-MOUSE-MICE-TRAP-TRAPS-CATCHER-/220918517966?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV&hash=item336fc510ce

Any photos of your shrews?

I wouldnt expect shrews to go for cheese. They eat live food only.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

Where are you located? There is a possibility that it is the Greater White Toothed Shrew, our newest invasive species, that you have caught. They are in Tipperary and Limerick.

More info on them here

• Advertisement

i'm in tipp, don't feel so bad now if its these non-native types

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Interesting, thanks. Is the "field-mouse" a synonym for our native shrew (pygmy)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Ah shucks, know the bad feeling, I switched from kill traps to the relocate traps for the mice, I felt better and got rid of the problem.
    Do try the friendly relocate version of the traps, I used to set the traps just before bed, and collect the little fellas in the morning and bring them for a drive and drop them off about 3 mile away always to the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

mathepac wrote: »
    Interesting, thanks. Is the "field-mouse" a synonym for our native shrew (pygmy)?
    No its Long tailed field mouse or wood mouse. Mouse is mouse, shrew is shrew.

fryup wrote: »
    i'm in tipp, don't feel so bad now if its these non-native types

I assume you have disposed of the bodies by now but for future reference

Pygmy shrew note the red on the teeth
    teethcloseup.jpg

Greater White Toothed Shrew no red on teeth
    France%20Lesser%20White-toothed%20Shrew.jpg

Images from google

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

F.R. wrote: »
    Where are you located? There is a possibility that it is the Greater White Toothed Shrew, our newest invasive species, that you have caught. They are in Tipperary and Limerick.

More info on them here

Happy days for the Barn Owl :) pity about the effects this will have on the pigmy shrew...

I assume you have disposed of the bodies by now but for future reference

Pygmy shrew note the red on the teeth

Greater White Toothed Shrew no red on teeth

is that the only difference? would there be a difference in body size, colour?

is that the only difference? would there be a difference in body size, colour?

Pygmy Shrew
    Tail length: 3.2-4.6 cm
    Head/ body length: 4-6 cm
    Weight 2.4-6.1 g

Greater White Toothed Shrew
    Head & body length: 6-9 cm
    Tail length: 3-4.6 cm
    Weight 5.9-11.3 g

So I guess the answer is not really both have grayish - brown fur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

mathepac wrote: »

A little bit off topic, but this document (http://ucd-ie.academia.edu/AllanMcDevitt/Papers/187025/Genetic_Variation_In_Irish_Pygmy_Shrews_Sorex_Minutus_Soricomorpha_Soricidae_Implications_for_Colonization_History) suggests that Pygmy Shrews may have arrived in Ireland long long ago with some help from man.

here's one i caught this morning, is it the invasive species??

shrew1.jpg

shrew2.jpg

I find it amazing that shrews are coming to eat cheese in mouse traps.

Can I urge you to buy live traps and not wipe out your local shrew population.

It looks like the White-toothed shrew which is really important in maintaining and helping the barn owl population

It looks like the White-toothed shrew which is really important in maintaining and helping the barn owl population

but these white-toothed may have a negative impact on the native pygmy shrew population

here's one i caught this morning, is it the invasive species??

It certainly looks like the Greater White Toothed Shrew, there does not appear to be any of the Iron build up on the teeth which is seen in the Pygmy Shrew.
    I find it amazing that shrews are coming to eat cheese in mouse traps.

Can I urge you to buy live traps and not wipe out your local shrew population.

Considering they breed up to five times a year and each litter can contain up to ten young I doubt that fryup's activities are going to make that big a dent in the population. The Pygmy Shrew only produces two litters a year with up to seven young in each.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Just to say I have used the live/humane traps from B&Q with success both times. First time last winter, prebaited, checked regularly, took a few days, but then two house mice in it:

Had to set it again recently. Took about a week this time for the one house mouse to find its way in. I hear crispy rasher is good, but chopped up mini snickers/mars did the trick.

• Advertisement

Considering they breed up to five times a year and each litter can contain up to ten young I doubt that fryup's activities are going to make that big a dent in the population. The Pygmy Shrew only produces two litters a year with up to seven young in each.

so by killing the invasive species am i doing a service to the pygmys??

as in time they'll only encroach on the pygmys territory ala grey squirrels on reds

so by killing the invasive species am i doing a service to the pygmys??

as in time they'll only encroach on the pygmys territory ala grey squirrels on reds

The jury is still out on how they will ultimately affect the Pygmy Shrew though they have displaced other Shrew species in parts of Europe due to their prodigious breeding rate.

I doubt if the amount you are going to catch will seriously affect the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Interesting that these new shrews invade peoples houses and eat cheese.
    I've never heard of the more established pygmy shrew coming indoors, except in a cat's mouth.

^^^^^^^^^^

i recall my old man catching shrews in mouse traps back in the 70s using cheese and i presume it was the pygmy shrew

its not surprising really as they do have a ferocious appetite and are constantly on the look out for food

Advertisement