Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to get a wedding band for under 1000 euro??

Options
  • 18-01-2012 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi all

I have been looking everywhere for a wedding band under 1000 euro for a 2 hour set. we are trying to stick to a tight budget and dont want to go over some bands are charging 4000 euro for 2 hours.
    does anyone know a band that will play in cork for under 1000??
    i really dont think the day would be the same without the band but cant afford to pay more

please help confused.gifcool.giffrown.gif
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Best I'd know of would be around 1200 - 1500 for a band developing a name for themselves.

Under a grand sounds very optimistic for anything other than a band doing the wedding as a favour or as their very first wedding tbh.

Should be able to get a DJ to cover the entire evening for under that though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

nmcgr668 wrote: »
    hi all

I have been looking everywhere for a wedding band under 1000 euro for a 2 hour set. we are trying to stick to a tight budget and dont want to go over some bands are charging 4000 euro for 2 hours.
    does anyone know a band that will play in cork for under 1000??
    i really dont think the day would be the same without the band but cant afford to pay more

please help confused.gifcool.giffrown.gif

sleepy called it right above. the going rate seems to be around the 1.8k - 2.2k mark for anything half decent and unless as a favour to someone youd do well to get anyone in that bracket that low. However, there are a number of 2 or 3 piece bands knocking around who will do it for under a grand. But youd have your work cut out for you to pick the right one, ie, they might be just into traditional stuff which might not suit. Ring some of the entertainment agencies in cork, theyed have all those type of bands on their books.

an all night DJ usually from 8-2am is around the 450-550 mark, shouldnt have to pay more then that. After band DJ can be got for around the 300 mark but if you get a 2-3 piece band ask them to will they do DJ as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Beware though you get what you pay for I was in much the same boat as you had budgeted about 500-700 for a band but all the bands in that bracket were awful , so I ended up booking a decent band for 1400.

If you think about it the band are a very important part of the wedding as they will be the ones getting the crowd going and making the atmosphere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

You have to be very careful with the band they can make or break your night. When choosing our band we went with a band who were very experienced musicians and have been playing wedding for many years. it takes time for a band to build up a good set list which they know will excite the crowd, unfortunately to get a band like this your talking 1.8k - 2.2k. As said before you can get 2 pieces for 1k but the energy can be lacking with this set up. if you don't have the budget for a 2k band a good DJ who is personable and interactive with the crowd will be your best option. a 4-5 hour DJ set can get very boring if the DJ is quiet and doesn't involve the crowd though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

We found the same thing last year when we got married - but we went with a day and night DJ who cost us well under a grand, and had people on the floor literally all night, as well as providing background music throughout the dinner.

We did not miss a band for a second, and neither did any of our guests, from the oldest (83) to the youngest (4)

We went with DJ Riain (and would highly recommend him) if you're in the Munster region

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

There is a band that play in cork but are from Kerry. They charge 1200 and there is a Dj included in that. They are a brilliant band and are very good to deal with.
    1200 is a very good price for cork.
    They are called "katsquire"
    Google them!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 superman123

Corse it is. Theres a recession going on. Find some poor band and they'll gladly do it for a few quid. And probably be as good as the expensive band too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

superman123, I'm afraid you're talking out of your arse here. Good wedding bands don't find it hard to get work. Inexperienced ones looking to break into the wedding business might do it for less but you'll get a less polished performance. While you'd imagine any decent pub band would be able to do a wedding they really require different set lists, the wedding band need to know all the current hits any pub band need while having all the old sets and reels, waltz's etc. in the bag too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 cutefainne

I was at a wedding a few weeks ago and the band playing cost well over 2000k. They were the worst band I've ever heard live. I'd be up for cheaper bands at weddings. Can't be any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

campo wrote: »
    Beware though you get what you pay for I was in much the same boat as you had budgeted about 500-700 for a band but all the bands in that bracket were awful , so I ended up booking a decent band for 1400.

If you think about it the band are a very important part of the wedding as they will be the ones getting the crowd going and making the atmosphere

Ive discovered over the years theres a number of bands in in each rough price bracket.

600-1000 (usually 2 or 3 pieces)
    1000-1500 (usually 3-4 pieces who are either starting or not getting gigs)
    1500-2400 (4-6 piece bands of the higher quality variety) (edit to say the higher quality is not guarenteed)
    2400+ Usually in-high demand bands, big brass sections, big venues, showbands.

the price bands charge is in proportion to how much in demand they are. One 4 piece might charge 1200, another might charge 2000. Are they worth it? Youll only really know on your wedding night but you have to make a best guess when booking them. You generally get what you pay for, as in theres a reason one band charges higher then another, its because someone will pay the price asked. The market finds its own rate over time here.

As mentioned, you'll pay more for a long established band with a large setlist of songs they know work rather then songs they think will work. the poorer bands will trump out the same songs from the same setlist, if the set is hitting a lull and noone reacts, they dont have the fallback of years playing to change it and even sometimes dont even care whether people dance or not as theyve already got paid. Generally the longer a band has been about the better your chances are theyll be "great" rather then "just ok". After youve paid 4 figures for the music, you'd expect it to be "great".

Thats not to say there isnt great up and coming bands but they'ed be charging appropriately, you have to find these bands, you gotta go out to pubs and weddings and make a choice based on budget and chance that the band arent going to let you down on the night with not being able to react to the crowd. And online recommendations should be treated with a pinch of salt, if you look in the bands thread, EVERY band were "brill" and "had the dancefloor full all night". I know some of those bands really are great, but also some of them would make you leave the room.

I will say there are some great 2-3 piece bands out there, they may not have wireless mikes and be jumping on tables but they have their own way of doing things that will work really well and leave you feeling at the end of the night that they were worth the money as everyone had a good time. But you have to work hard to find them and if you have a lower budget the less you have to be picky about, most of the time bands are found to suit occassion and budget though.

Id say again, ring local entertainment agencies, theyed have the lists of bands to suit budget. Go and view them then, its the only way.

Comments like this
    I was at a wedding a few weeks ago and the band playing cost well over 2000k. They were the worst band I've ever heard live. I'd be up for cheaper bands at weddings. Can't be any worse.

is what you want to avoid and backs up my points. If you seen a brilliant wedding band the above comment would change to "I was a wedding, the band were brilliant, they cost well over 2k, but they were worth it". So how do you find a brilliant wedding band. they do exist. Gotta go and view.

Theres a recession going on. Find some poor band and they'll gladly do it for a few quid. And probably be as good as the expensive band too.

Funny. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement