Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal???

Options
  • 18-01-2012 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, day 7 of giving up and to be honest not sure how much longer I can do this for, in fact already had a wobble at lunch today and smoked one cigarette. Didn't even feel a physical need, haven't had any physical cravings the last two days or so but just getting more and more confused on how I feel.

Noticed after the first couple of days I started feeling quite low. This has been getting worse and worse, gone from low to feeling really depressed, empty, nothing to look forward to, i.e apathetic. Constantly feel close to tears and no idea why?

Emotions have all over the place really. To make it worse since giving up my sex life has gone to pot. Really embarrassed about this, my sex drive still seems to be there but though the mind is more than willing the body has let me down time and time again since the day I gave up until at this point my confidence is gone!

Last night was the last straw, everything as with previous nights seemed fine and then nothing. Girlfriend has been great but even so felt so embarrassed, as with previous nights just wanted to leave but instead awake half the night staring at the ceiling as she sleeps. Started wondering how long feeling like this is going to last? Woke up this morning again close to tears and finally cracked at lunchtime having one smoke I found in an old box!

Anyway sorry for the really long post, just so p*ssed off for smoking at lunch and so tired of feeling like this. So confused at the moment. I did suffer from depression when I was in my late teens but haven't experienced it in the last 20 years. Can't remember ever feeling so down and feeling like my own body is betraying me is definitely not helping!

Has anyone else experienced this? Starting to really wonder if giving up is worth it :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gemell

I dont post here often but giving up smoking is one area I do have very good knowledge of!

IMHO, you are thinking too much about giving up. Smoking is one big confidence trick and quitting can be like getting out of a maze. Once you are out however you will never look back. I stopped smoking in 2003 having smoked for 15 years.

Here are some tips to help;

1. You are giving up nothing. There is nothing to miss about smoking.
    2. You may think you are missing out by not smoking but that is only due to association. So you have associate a beer, a nice meal, going out etc with cigarettes. This is the great con trick. all of these things are great and are even better without a cigarette.
    3. Get on with your life. Dont let association win. The sooner you can have a beer, the better. Smoking ruins the good things in life.
    4. Nicotine leaves your body after 3 days. Dont bother with gum or patches. Once the nicotine is out, the rest is in your head. ie association.
    5. Try and work it in stages. 3 hours, 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years. You will have forgotten about it by the time 3 months rolls around!
    6. Try and think that if you have one cigarette, that its not just one. Its 10,000 until you decide to try and quit again.
    7. You cannot have one cigarette again ever. This is it. You are done with them!
    8. Dont get depressed about it. This is really the greatest gift you can give your body. Trust me, in a year you will be nagging other people to quit wondering how you ever smoked in the first place and wishing you had quit sooner!

Best of luck. Your life begins today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Its normal to get low during the process. I became dizzy, disoriented, felt slightly drunk, close to tears a few times, sleep pattern all over the place, absolutely knackered lying in the bed and unable to sleep, then alarm going off next morning and not able to wake up! Sleep being messed up plays havoc with the emotions, you are wandering around in a daze not knowing what to feel.

You have to give it some time for the body to adjust. It takes time. Im on Day 18 today and Im still finding weird physical stuff going on - like a sudden aversion to mashed potatoes!! But my sleep pattern, dizziness etc all resolved within 10-14 days.

Why on earth are you worrying about your sex life after only 7 days!! You are giving up an addiction, it will take time for life to resume normality, dont be worrying about sex after only 7 days!! Give yourself a chance, you are being way too hard on yourself.

Stay strong and get back on that wagon. I felt like the main battle happened between Days 3 - 7, after that it all became a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭sporina

Parawata wrote: »
    Hi, day 7 of giving up and to be honest not sure how much longer I can do this for, in fact already had a wobble at lunch today and smoked one cigarette. Didn't even feel a physical need, haven't had any physical cravings the last two days or so but just getting more and more confused on how I feel.

Noticed after the first couple of days I started feeling quite low. This has been getting worse and worse, gone from low to feeling really depressed, empty, nothing to look forward to, i.e apathetic. Constantly feel close to tears and no idea why?

Emotions have all over the place really. To make it worse since giving up my sex life has gone to pot. Really embarrassed about this, my sex drive still seems to be there but though the mind is more than willing the body has let me down time and time again since the day I gave up until at this point my confidence is gone!

Last night was the last straw, everything as with previous nights seemed fine and then nothing. Girlfriend has been great but even so felt so embarrassed, as with previous nights just wanted to leave but instead awake half the night staring at the ceiling as she sleeps. Started wondering how long feeling like this is going to last? Woke up this morning again close to tears and finally cracked at lunchtime having one smoke I found in an old box!

Anyway sorry for the really long post, just so p*ssed off for smoking at lunch and so tired of feeling like this. So confused at the moment. I did suffer from depression when I was in my late teens but haven't experienced it in the last 20 years. Can't remember ever feeling so down and feeling like my own body is betraying me is definitely not helping!

Has anyone else experienced this? Starting to really wonder if giving up is worth it :(

you should feel empowered by the fact that you have decided to stop smoking. Have you read alan Carr's book? If not, you should. It really is great. He says, look at all the withdrawal symptoms as signs that you are riding your body of the dreaded weed. Think of the dizziness and low mood as the nicotine monster in your body crying to be fed. But as you deprive it, it will diminish over time - give it 3-4 weeks. Every time you feel a craving (physical or emotional) etc, just think, I am taking the power back Nicotine - you will poison me no more.
    You can do it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭The Irish Riddler

Never heard of quitting affecting performance. In fact quitting improves circulation so things should be better.

Its the phychological side that is probably getting in your way. Longer time on the warmup will clear your head more when the match starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Almost 6 months off them now :) OP I recommend nicotine patches to take the edge off things for the first few weeks (to be replaced with nicotine gum).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Morlar wrote: »
    ... OP I recommend nicotine patches to take the edge off things for the first few weeks (to be replaced with nicotine gum).
    Close to the point I was going to make.

I quit 3 years ago by going cold turkey after decades of heavy smoking (40 Major / day).

People are individuals and may need different kinds and varying degrees of support. Did you talk to your G.P. or consult the HSE web-site and get their support pack?

I'd strongly encourage you to consult someone soon as feeling the way you do is not good, not for you or for your efforts to quit.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/healthpromotion/Quit%20Smoking/

http://www.giveupsmoking.ie/

HTH & keep up the good work, it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭The Irish Riddler

Also get fairly strenous exercise. It releases endorphins and makes you feel good about yourself.

Advertisement