Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2012 - Let's stand together

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I did not expect that voice to come out of Graham. :pac: ("Hello, Fran!")

Also that Penny Arcade link is playing havoc with my flash plugin. Here's the vid on youtube.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Probably won't happen with a lot of sites. E3 time is when these make most of their money and get the most site traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

agree.

i would really love to see that happen and i would support it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Probably won't happen with a lot of sites. E3 time is when these make most of their money and get the most site traffic.
    That said, with good timing and the right PR, a company could make an announcement against the bills and get a hell of a lot of coverage. They'd have to work hard not to get lost in the rush, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Kiith wrote: »

Do these online petitions ever actually do anything though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

This is like asking tech sites not to cover CES, never gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This is like asking tech sites not to cover CES, never gonna happen.
    I remember a documentary about Formula 1 in the 60s & 70s.

The drivers asked the Nurburgring (?) owners to change certain aspects of the circuit, to improve safety.
    The weekend they arrived, they realised NOTHING had been done.
    The track owners thought that there was no way the drivers could possibly not race (as the Euro GP was a massive source of revenue for them, too).

The drivers walked out.

Lesson: it can be done, but it'll hurt your financially.
    Related: Red 5 studios are not attending E3, lost money already.

That may be, but there's a big difference between drivers walking out due to safety concerns in one of the worlds most dangerous sports, and websites blacklisting E3 (the season of massive site hits) because the ESA supports SOPA, which has been watered down so much since it's inception that's it's basically not the same bill anymore. Not to mention it probably won't even pass anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

the ESA supports SOPA, which has been watered down so much since it's inception that's it's basically not the same bill anymore. Not to mention it probably won't even pass anyway.

If you believe that your incredibly naive.
    The bill has only had the DNS blocking removed, there are still some horrible pieces of legislation hidden within it that will help the special interests behind all this get their way. Also neither bill is dead yet, yes SOPA has been put on hold for a while but PIPA is set for a vote on the 24th next week and the official count of whos for and against is still very up in the air even with all the names that dropped their support due to yesterdays actions.
    As far as the ESAs concerned why not have gamers, developers and journalists at least try and change their minds it cant cause any harm and tbh its apathy like yours that could allow things like this come to pass

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    If you believe that your incredibly naive.
    The bill has only had the DNS blocking removed, there are still some horrible pieces of legislation hidden within it that will help the special interests behind all this get their way. Also neither bill is dead yet, yes SOPA has been put on hold for a while but PIPA is set for a vote on the 24th next week and the official count of whos for and against is still very up in the air even with all the names that dropped their support due to yesterdays actions.
    As far as the ESAs concerned why not have gamers, developers and journalists at least try and change their minds it cant cause any harm and tbh its apathy like yours that could allow things like this come to pass

Supporters of PIPA (Senators) are dropping like flies, the blackout yesterday actually managed to have some effect, i think somewhere in the region of 7mil+ got in touch with their local representatives.

Further reductions will be made to SOPA over the next few months if it even has a chance to pass.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Really proud of Stuttering Craig & those involved in boycotting ESA's E3, fully knowing the financial hit they would take. I won't visit any sites covering E3 when the time comes unless ESA reverse their stance. The way things are going, I'm sure ESA will cave, but I'm glad the ball's rolling on this now, so game sites will be fully aware of what's the story is.

Advertisement