Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Certification

Options
  • 18-01-2012 10:54am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

Just wondering on opinions here.

Is it still worth doing the Java SE 6 exams such as 1Z0-851?

Or should I go for the SE 7 one such as 1Z0-804?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

How soon are you thinking of taking the exam?

From here: http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=505

It looks like you have to do the Oracle Certfied Associate exam and then the OC Java SE 7 programmer exam. Also the exams for Java 7 seem to be in beta still?

Changes in Java7: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/jdk7-relnotes-418459.html#changes

From an employer's point of view - having either on the CV looks good. Others on here would know better than me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

In 2012 I would think.
    I havent been using Java for a few years so may take some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

I was actually wondering how useful would it be to have the java cert on a CV ..? How is it regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

k.p.h wrote: »
    I was actually wondering how useful would it be to have the java cert on a CV ..? How is it regarded.
    I've wondered the same myself. I suspect if you have < 2 year's experience its worthwhile. I have many years and I've decided to do it, not for my CV but I think it would be a good exercise to brush up my coding chops. You also have to do it to do the other certifications (Web Component, Web Services etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I would pick the cheapest! :pac: I remember that the Java 5 exam was a good bit cheaper than Java 6 and the differences between 5 and 6 were not huge.

You should check the links that duffman gave and weight the changes from 6 to 7 versus what you can afford or think it's worth. Also check if you must first to the Associated exam before doing the (SCJP?); I don't know what Oracle call it now. With Sun, you didn't have to do the first level exam (Associate?).

If you must to the first level exam with Oracle, maybe it's best to do SCJP6 and do an upgrade exam to 7, if this exists!

I think it's a useful certification to have; for example for a Java role two similar cv's in terms of experience and education, the one with the cert will stand out over the one without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

AFAIK you still don't have to do the associate exam and can jump to the SCJP (OCPJP).

Expensive enough.

Advertisement