Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house-how long will it take

Options
  • 18-01-2012 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Myself & other half have found the house we love & are just waiting to make an offer on it but I'm curious to know how long it will take from the time an offer is accepted until the time we actually own it

i've heard some horror stories but i'd imagine our scenario is a little different as we had a very quick mortgage application & approval time & also the house is being sold off as part of somebody's estate

however I would still like to get an idea of how long I can expect to be waiting to move in...

Also is it reasonable to make an offer on the basis that the sale will complete quickly eg. within 4-6 weeks??

All opinions welcome...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Plenum

How long is a piece of string....
    Dont want to put you off but ive never heard of anyone whos house purchase has gone smoothly and according to schedule. If you are buying a new house it usually goes through quicker as you are not part of a chain i.e. waiting for someone else to sell/buy
    My advice is to get a good solicitor as Ive always found they are the major delay. Ive bought 3 houses and every time the solicitors were the problem...be firm with them and dont take any excuses for delays on their part, set out your timetable to them at the start of the purchase and make sure they stick to it and dont be afraid to give them the boot and go to someone else if you are getting messed around
    Hope everything goes well for you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I sold a house last year. The time frame from the day I notified my estate agent that I would accept the buyers offer, to when final contracts were sold and everything was a done deal, was about 5 weeks. The buyer came to the table with mortgage approval. (My estate agent didn't even bother with offers unless they could prove financing was in order.) We came to the table with clear and blemish free title to the deeds on the property. It was all done and dusted in 5 weeks.

It probably would have only taken 3 weeks, as the buyer was very keen to move in so he could stop paying rent on where he was living at the time, but my solicitor wasn't the fastest to take care of some things on our end regarding the BER cert and proof that the NPPR tax had been paid. They got a bollicking from me for that, and things drastically speeded up. As the above poster said, how long is a piece of string? All peeps can do is tell you of their own experiences.

But what I will say is, don't be afraid to pick up the phone and ask questions of your solicitor and estate agent to move the process along....ok what is happening now, where are you at, what paperwork are you waiting on, who has it, who should have it, what are you doing to get your hands on it as soon as possible etc etc ???

Don't be afraid to be a pest. Don't by any means commit the typical Irish sin of letting the professional classes (aka solicitors) pawn you off with excuses as to why things are taking as long as they do. Unless there is a damm good reason for it, there is no reason for this to be a long drawn out process. If you ride their asses often as not, they'll put you to the front of the queue just to get rid of you if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭muttley-dps

Paid Booking deposit 23rd November following mortgage approval (took about 10 days for that prior, including independent valuation for Bank).
    Took from then until 23rd December for vendors solicitor to acquire deeds and prepare contract and present to My Solicitor.

In this month (23rd Nov - 23rd Dec) formal loan pack from the bank was issued to my solicitor and I also got survey done.

Solicitor on holiday from 23rd December to 9th January.

Contract reviewed and pre-contract inquiries received at vendors solicitor yesterday (17th January).

So still have to get contracts back to my solicitor and us in to sign (if that will happen depending on inquiries) contract and pay remaining deposit. After that then need to arrange home insurance to begin on whatever closing date we're give.

As with above posts, need to ride banks, Estate agents and Solicitors constantly to keep things moving.

So looks like > 2months though solicitors have been out on holiday for 2.5 weeks.

House we're moving to is empty. Main hold ups so far are with solicitors (took 4 days for inquiries to be received when both solicitors offices are on the same street practically!!)

Advertisement