Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you like about London?

Options
  • 18-01-2012 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭

With the thread with people missing Ireland I thought this thread was needed!

And don't be saying a job!

For me it's the people, I love the people I think they are nicer and more friendly! I love the accent of the posh south west accent. I honestly think it ws the main reason for moving over!

More selection in food and wine is an other one and when I moved here first I could do a weekly shop in M&S for a weekly shop in a Irish tesco :)

But the main reason for me 2 years ago was the Olympics and yes I gota Job directly involved with them but I can't wait for the extra stuff we should see because of them.

Any other perks for living in London?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Good idea for a thread :)

There are lots of things I like about London. Top of the list, I think, is the amount of choice in terms of things to do - whether the weather's rubbish or great, whether money's tight or in plentiful supply, there's always something interesting you can do. The variety of gigs, shows and events happening on any given day can be a bit overwhelming - especially if you're not used to planning in advance - but once you get in the habit of keeping an eye on what's coming up it's fantastic.

Another thing I really like is the urban planning - there are a lot of open spaces and particularly a lot of green areas in London which are open to the public. It really helps to combat the feeling that you're in the middle of a huge urbanised area, and I like that there are several big park areas in London where you can forget that you're in the middle of a city at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I love the fact that it's such a green city - I hadn't actually realised until I visited the concrete jungle of New York that London is so green and how important that is to my happiness :)
    I love public transport that works, even if it doesn't work fantastically well all the time. After more than 4 years here, I still have a giggle at people who freak that they missed their tube & will have to wait a whole 3 minutes for the next one!
    I love the fact that there's so much to do here; gigs, events, museums, etc and that their are free options so you can hit the likes of British museum even if you're skint.
    I love that it's such a good transport hub - I love travelling & taking holidays and you can get pretty much anywhere from here.

...the list goes on :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I'm going to go away for the Olympics! No interest at all. I like eyeing up hot chicks on the tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I love the really distinct areas they are like micro towns in a big city - camden, notting hill, kensington, westminster, soho etc.

Going to London this weekend, haven't been in a long while. Can anyone recommend some good things to do (not the usual touristy sites) like quirky places to visit be it markets, retro shops, cafes, restaurants. Something along the foodie line like union market.

Also does anyone have a favourite central pub that is a good british pub style and does nice pub grub maybe something around a nice area like notting hill or camden?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Anonymity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I love hopping on the tube and being able to go to the museum of London, the V&A, British museum etc. I love going for a walk around different boroughs and seeing how one city can have so much diversity. I love hanging around Camden and having a nose around the markets. I love walking/cycling around the likes of Hyde park and Regents Park. I love the fact that people can wear what I want and no-one bats an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The markets... I love the Galway market but sometimes there are only so may dreamcatchers and woolly hats I can take..markets here have such variety!!

I love people watching too and how open it is compared to Ireland in terms of fashion.

The public transport for the most part!

Also some meds on the NHS are free so that's pretty good compared to home!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

I love people watching too and how open it is compared to Ireland in terms of fashion.

Love that too! I keep eyeing up people on the tube because I love what they're wearing. And related, the shopping is definitely one thing I love about London.

Other things I love: the museums, the public transport, the fact that nobody will blink twice at the strangest things, that you can choose any night of the week and find something interesting and fun to do, that there are so many varied free things to do, and picnics in Green Park in the summer.

Also the tube conductor at Victoria station on Monday morning who told everyone to have a stress-free week and to be happy and positive definitely ranks up there somewhere too. Brightened up my day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

London has so much to offer. I love its Historic buildings and Monuments.

And i like the shopping. some lovely small quaint streets and shops.

People i find are quite polite and helpfull.

I like the parks also really helps me when you feel surrounded bu buildings and polution.

Strangely enough i kinda like the tube as you can get from a to b quite quickly.

I like the buskers down in the tube station and when sometimes see the one person who stopped to listen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

This is a silly one but...

When I order some thing off ebay and is posted on the same day usually I get it next day. no waiting a week like an post

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Krispy Kreme doughnuts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

West Ham United !

I love the buzz of that city, it's so enormous, it's such a great place with the parks, river walks etc etc

But best thing about it is West Ham United !!:D

Also love the markets and the tube for getting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dr.Giggles

checkin' out hot men on tube, they leave..new ones get on.

Dr.Giggles wrote: »
    checkin' out hot men on tube, they leave..new ones get on.

Your post reminded me of this website :P http://tubecrush.net/

I like this one though :)http://peopleonthetube.tumblr.com/

I'd be freaked out if someone took a picture of me on the tube!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I really like the green space. It's such a help when living in a big city just to be able to get away from it all if only for a little while.

I also like the variance of the city and how each part is different. I also like how London isn't hugely over-centralised. There are centres of activity on the edges as well as the inside of the city.

Given that there are so many people living in London there is far much more to do, and far more people to meet with similar interests. A key thing for when I moved was to find a good church in London and I managed to do that with relative ease. I've also managed to build up my social circle here bit by bit over the last 5ish months since I moved over.

I think this is something I needed to do, and I'm pretty glad I did it in the end.

One amazing thing about London is flying into Heathrow at night and seeing the whole city lit up and being able to make out Piccadilly Circus and places like that.

Advertisement