Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intune and last Gov

Options
  • 18-01-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

The last Gov gave us the NBS while muttering about Intune Fibre.

Which has delivered How Many Broadband Connections?

Meanwhile
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/17/nec_terabit_demonstration/
    NEC has demonstrated a single fibre link – with no repeaters – running at 1.5 terabits per second over 10,000 km. The company says this is the first time that a single laser source has sent a terabit channel over such a distance.
    More boffinry at the link.
    The lab setup achieved an aggregate of 4 Tbps by binding four “superchannels” together using wavelength division multiplexing (WDM)

In contrast the x20 higher capacity than previous Satellites, Ka-Sat can only deliver 250Mbps to 500Mbps for Ireland, depending on weather.

4Tbps = 4,000,000Mbps, i.e. 16,000 times as much. A Fibre cable in a Duct has many separate fibres each is separate data (i.e. potentially the length of Ireland with no repeaters). Our Roads, railway lines, Electricity Pylons, ESB & Eircom pole and even canal paths can support many fibres.

Each street in Ireland can easily have 32Tbps .... i.e. Each street can be equivalent to 128 thousand Satellite spot beams or a single street fed with fibre can have capacity of about 1 Million 3G masts or 250 thousand x 20MHz channel LTE masts.

Advertisement