Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

awaiting biopsy results

Options
  • 17-01-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

So a couple of months ago I was having what felt like a stabbing pain in my breast... so after ignoring it for a while i finally decided to get it seen to by a doc. She referred me to the breast clinic but as there was no lump (I have lumpy boobs.. so didn't appear to be any lumps of concern.. if that makes sense) I was not high priority.. so three months later the appointment card arrives. At this stage I was no longer getting the pains.. so i thought about cancelling the appointment but to be honest I forgot.. and so Sunday night I thought about not showing up.. but in the end decided that I'd better go in.. didn't want to be rude.

so I went in.. and doc examines me and finds a lump. sends me for ultra sound, and a biopsy is taken. They kept asking me had the lump changed and I tried to explain that i didn't know that I had one till just then...

I had told nobody about the appointment.. and i've decided not to tell anyone either about the lump/biopsy.. no point in worrying people (I'm thinking of my family here.. I'm single (34) with no kids..)

thing is i'm fine most of the time.. but leave me on my own for a few minutes.. and i'm anxious.. (thats an understatement) and I've to wait till next Monday for the results.. last night was a long night..

Guess Im just looking for reassurance.. i know that 4 in 5 are benign. I just wish it was Monday and that I knew that either everything was fine or worst case scenario.. what I was dealing with..

Thanks for reading..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Hi aLittleWorried,
    What you're feeling is normal. It's a highly stressful situation...and you've kept it to yourself. It can be good to talk to a confidant.

If you still don't want to do that, you can ring the Irish Cancer Society's Confidential Freefone number 1800 200 700 and talk, in confidence, to a Cancer Nurse.
    The lines are open 9-7, Mon-Thurs and 9 to 5 on Fri.

Remember "What if.....?" is an awful burden. PG things turn out right for you on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Cant imagine what your going through, my mother in her 30s found a lump and it turned out to be a cyst, so happens most of my aunts have had a cyst or 2 one had 5. im also now in my 30s so i expect to find one sooner or later. I would be optimistic until i find out one way or another. If it turns bad there is still hope, its not a death sentence just an obstacle in life's path.

Thinking of you and hope all goes well.

* My husband had testicular cancer a few years back, a few doses of chemo, lump removed and his grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

You are right 4 in 5 are benign. You should try to confide in some one, even keep posting here because it will consume you if you dont. The people that reply here are very friendly and kind and have got me through some very bad day's and nights.

I'm sure everything will be fine next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you to everyone for your kind comments.. I'm actually feeling a lot better about the situation. I think I was just overwhelmed in the beginning as it came as a very big shock..

Anyhow thanks again for you kind words. Monday not too far away anymore and there's no point in worrying about something that might never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭purrrfect1

Hi
    Its only natural to worry and fret.. I too was like you and told noone that I was at the clinic, but really it helps to share your worries. We here, will help as best we can.
    I am sure the results will be fine - be sure to let us know - its all one big happy family here!!.
    Rem You are not alone

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Best of luck for tomorrow alittleworried. I'm sure it will be fine.:)

Good luck today! thinking of you.

Just wanted to update ye all.. I got great news today..
    I can't actually remember what he said it was.. just that it was not cancer!
    I've to go back in 4 months for a checkup but thats it!

Thanks again everyone.. was lovely to get the good luck messages.

And to others facing this, do confide in somebody and remember that 4 in 5 are fine.

Thanks again.

How did you get on?

Hey there.. I did respond earlier in the week but for some reason my post never made it!

I got good news on Monday.. I was given the all clear!
    Was such a relief.. and just wanted to thank you all for your kind thoughts and best wishes..

For anyone else who might be waiting on results.. just remember that 4 in 5 are benign.

Thanks again to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

That's great news! ...Now just put the feet up, relax and chill out! ...You've earned it!

Brilliant news.

Advertisement