Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY heated propagator

Options
  • 17-01-2012 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

Someone told me it is possible to make your own propagator using heated reptile pads. Just wanted to know if anyone had ever tried this or something similar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bartlguy

Surely you can just buy a miniature one for 25 euro or i have two you can have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Well the ones I've seen have been 45 euro + and the guy who was telling me about the heat pads said they were about 10/15euro.

I'm trying to set myself up so all costs are pretty tight.

Ok sure had a look online and they are that expensive. Amazing how much they have changed in price. the offer is there.

Oh sorry didn't see that part...how much would you be looking for it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ive heard of this allright........a red attic frost/heat lamp set up on a timer in a reasonable sized grow box/cold frame,and the results can be pretty impressive allright.

• Advertisement

Say 10 euro , also saw this while research. Four seed trays but needs a good wash but it's yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4QN9Oz5acoing.

Fantastic, I'll take it...can you pm me where you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Bodhran

B & Q have heated seed trays for around €15.00. The come complete with perspex covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

I bought a temperature controlled heating cable and set in in sand in a home made frame, about 100cm by 60cm. Works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

After reading positive comments on UK gardening sites I bought the B&Q heated prop on Thursday. 17 euro. I had basil, alpine strawberries and cape gooseberry sown for a couple of weeks and no sign of germination. Checked on them this morning and all are pushing up :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Sowed Cos Baby Gem on Thursday night and Radish last night (Friday). Checked on them around dinner time and both are germinating. It's like magic :-) First sowing of both took around 5-6 days in an unheated propagator. Can see this being a great help, and a bargain at 17 euro. Here it is ...
    http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-care-watering/growing/propagation/-specificproducttype-propagators/B-and-Q-Heated-Propagator-1607-Black-38cm-9906508

Advertisement