Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladbrokes:dont like to pay bets from other shops do they?

Options
  • 17-01-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I was In Limerick at the weekekend placed a bet it won(man city was last leg of it) was back in dublin yesterday morning,thought no problem ill just collect in a city centre shop.
    Well I have been to 4 shops and in each one it is the same rubbish "o we dont have enough to pay you on that at the moment" one or two give something about "just been cleaned out" or "we have a lot of pay-outs".
    Well it is only 450e,in one shop i was going to bet 150e so they would just have to pay me 300 and they still said they hadnt enough!!!!!:mad: 300??
    I know this is a lie,they just dont seem to want to pay out at all.of course i rang their customer service and the guy there just said if there is a lot to be paid out in the shop then they must keep the money for that,ok but all the people wanting to be paid out wont be in at exactly the same time,surely the biggest bookmaker in the uk should have more than 300 in one of its shops in the capital of ireland??
    Basically im just goning to wait until im in Limerick again to get paid on this as im not going to listen to anymore crap from their staff and i will NEVER bet in any ladbrokes ever again,joke outfit.
    Ive won way bigger bets in Powers and Boyles before and never had any of this "o we cant pay you"
    Has this happened to many punters or did I just catch them at a bad time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Sounds like William Hill, another joke outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Basically im just goning to wait until im in Limerick again to get paid on this

That's the wrong way to do it.
    If the shop doesn't have the cash, tell them you will be back in an hour,
    next day or whatever and give them notice, there's no excuse then.
    If they don't, ask them to call HQ and ask to speak to a customer service manager and explain your problem.

joke outfit

Wouldn't disagree with that.

The reason you were given the brush off is because the staff have to open the safe to get "larger" amounts of cash out and also have to ring the bet through to get clearance before paying it out.
    In a nutshell, it's a pain for the staff and you are probably taking them away from their book, phone, Hello magazine etc. ;)

I collected a four figure sum from a different branch of Ladbrokes to the one I had the bet in and had no problems collecting from a pleasant girl who said I'd have to wait 10 minutes for the safe to open.
    Think she was more interested in getting a tip off me.

Sounds like William Hill, another joke outfit.

You won't have that problem anymore as Boyles bought all their shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Zuko123

I did ask one of them if i came back at the end of the day would you have money but she just said she couldnt guarantee it,
    I did ring a customer service guy but as I said he was no help at all,I might try ringing the hq and try to get it organized from that end, bloody hell it's a lot of hassle just for 450

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Hey okidoki do people actually tip cashiers?

OP if you have no joy and aren't in a mad rush you could ask them to post you a cheque. It's annoying but stops you having to keep calling in to shops

UrbanSea wrote: »

OP if you have no joy and aren't in a mad rush you could ask them to post you a cheque. It's annoying but stops you having to keep calling in to shops

I was getting paid few grand in a PP shop one day, your man held a tight hold of the cash while handing it to me, staring at me waiting on me to throw back a 50, I yanked it off him and asked was he going to give me some money back if the horse was beaten. Like a boss!:D

• Advertisement

Haha not a hope would I give them anything. Apart from a cute wee one working in Boyles ;)

I wouldn't take a cheque either. Whats to stop them from cancelling it?

I have been offered a cheque also and I asked would they take a cheque off me. That sorted that.

That's a good point,but I'd make sure I keep a copy of my docket.

9 the man with the responses.

Or call them and ask them to transfer to your account

UrbanSea wrote: »
    ............ do people actually tip cashiers?............

I don't generally but I gave the two lads in the local betting office a card each with €20 in it signed from myself and the ole lad over Christmas, we are betting office regulars on a Sunday. I made a decent few quid in Nov and Dec and over the course of the year there were a few incidents where they looked after me (the likes of telling me when I was due money back due to events finishing in a draw when the markets were either party to win a week later after binning the docket, nice customer service imo).

I know a few folk who give a little tip when collecting a nice wad of cash, I only have little wins as I bet quite small so I'd rarely collect anything over a few hundred at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Amigomenor

ft9 wrote: »
    So your saying I should hand back some of my winnings? Who was going to reimburse me if we got beat?

I would be well aware if something I had backed won or not.

And I would have no interest in hearing their specials.

That clarify it for you?

You miss the point, tipping ensures better service. You dont tip you will never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Amigomenor

RoverJames wrote: »
    I don't generally but I gave the two lads in the local betting office a card each with €20 in it signed from myself and the ole lad over Christmas, we are betting office regulars on a Sunday. I made a decent few quid in Nov and Dec and over the course of the year there were a few incidents where they looked after me (the likes of telling me when I was due money back due to events finishing in a draw when the markets were either party to win a week later after binning the docket, nice customer service imo).

I know a few folk who give a little tip when collecting a nice wad of cash, I only have little wins as I bet quite small so I'd rarely collect anything over a few hundred at a time.

You get it!

Amigomenor wrote: »
    You miss the point, tipping ensures better service. You dont tip you will never know.

And I never will

I collected money from the same bet off 3 different branches of a bookie (knew I wouldn't get all the stake on in 1 shop without problems) and collecting from a branch I use a lot, tipped the guy a 50,
    More in hope that the next time I had a bet that "might have been over the limit "cough" for the event, he wouldn't ring in through.
    The next time I tried it, he hauled me up :(
    Never again.

Or call them and ask them to transfer to your account

I have never heard of a bookie doing that.

The best time to collect the cash is opening time where they have a wad of cash to pay punters, very true when a hotpot(s) win in the footie the previous night.
    If a load of favs have been beaten during the day, the shop should have a load of cash which most will be very happy to get rid of as staff don't like having big amounts of cash on the premises as it attracts the wrong kid of visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phantasmagoria

There seems to be a common misconception that betting shops are banks. If the cash is available you should/probably will be paid on the spot. Failing that, an agreement to have the cash within 24 hours should suffice - guess what happens then? The same guy complaining about the shop not having cash (and a crystal ball to know what payouts are pending in other branches) doesn't bother to come back. If you are reasonable, you will have no problems. I understand that some shop staff don't think but the same goes for customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phantasmagoria

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I have never heard of a bookie doing that.

The best time to collect the cash is opening time where they have a wad of cash to pay punters, very true when a hotpot(s) win in the footie the previous night.

This is the wrong way to look at it.

Advertisement