Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in process of having pups - Advice needed please

Options
  • 17-01-2012 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I posted on here a while ago about an unclaimed stray female JRT my friend has taken in & currently looking after. Well the little thing is pregnant - my friend thought initially it was from giving her regular meals but her nipples have gotten bigger etc so my friend figured she was in pup. She took her to the vet this evening to get an eximate for the dogs due date and it turns out that she is already in labour! :eek:

So can anyone give me some advice to pass on as to what to do? She has her comfortable in her utility room in the house, but should she do anything once the dog starts giving birth or just leave her to it?

All advice gratefully appreciated - thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I have no idea but a quick google search should help. If she's unsure or thinks the bitch is in trouble she needs to ring or go to her vet.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Best to leave her to it, just keep an eye, if she's a nervous dog then stand further back to keep an eye on her. If she isn't then sit nearer to watch. If she does get in to trouble have the vets emergency 24 hour number to hand.

Ensure that where the dog is giving birth that once the pups are gone the dog can hop in and out of the box but the puppies can't fall out.

This is kind of off topic but just mentioning it just in case that don't let the friend have the puppies tails docked a lot of people think terriers should have their tails cut off it's a horrible practice just thought I'd mention that just in casey.

Hope it goes well for the mummy dog, good on your friend for taking the dog in.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

3 pups so far but the 2nd one born died :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

We've had two litters in our house in the last few years - generally you can leave them to it, but if you notice the sac hasn't broken around the pup, and the mum hasn't taken it off herself (and she'll let you near her without getting agitated) then you should break the sac otherwise the pup can die.

We only had that happen to one pup out of twenty one, and that was the second pup born, but had to break the sac for 3 others. One didn't start breathing straight away, but did after my hubby sort of (gently) bounced him.

But keep the place that she's in warm - newborn pups need heat.

I hope it all goes well!

Thanks - it is warm - she had broken the sack on the first 2 but after she did the 2nd they were both alive & she started licking the 1st one and then the 2nd died - the 2nd came quickly after the 1st and she broke the sack on both. When the 3rd came my friend's sister quickly broke the sack & put the pup back straight away with the Mum - sad :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

There might be something in this thread that can help/put your mind at rest.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69825972

There might be something in this thread that can help/put your mind at rest.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69825972

Thanks for that AJ - just read through the thread!

Advertisement