Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Captain Crisps?

• 17-01-2012 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭

For years now I've had this vague memory about a type of crisps that had a similar design to the famous Marvel character "Captain America".

I can't remember what flavour they were or why every time I see Captain America I get this memory, but there's some visual/design connection there.

These crisps Almost defo weren't an 'official' Captain America product. Most likely a character who 'borrowed' his look from the marvel character.

Failing that, bear in mind I might be wrong about the 'hero' character on the crisps entirely. It might just be that the crisp packet had a logo that looked like Cap Americas shield or had some sort of "stars and circles" design to it packaging.

Anyway, this would have been early 1980's I reckon. If this rings any bells for anyone I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help!

(btw the title is in reference to a brand of crisps I found mentioned on the net but without any pix that would fit my description, so don't let that title throw you off, it might not even be them)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You're not wrong, I used to get these in local newsagent around 78

21/25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I reckon the charcater looked far more like an early version of Judge Dredd,but teh crisps dude used to wear a cloak.

IPCJudgeDredd_0811.jpg
    There was along running offer for captain crisps posters which you could collect by sending away empty crisp packets..my uncle ran apub so i had hundreds of them but after a while the posters stopped coming and the crisps dissapeared from the market..prolly around 1977-1979 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Your memory has served you well, you have it right. I remember them 'cos it was my first CB handle :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

Thanks for all the replies so far. It's good to see that a good few people here remember them clearly and can confirm the name.

Unfortunately I can't find a single picture of this character or the crisp packet anywhere on the net. Ah well, I'll keep looking for Cap' I suppose....

Underdraft wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies so far. It's good to see that a good few people here remember them clearly and can confirm the name.

Unfortunately I can't find a single picture of this character or the crisp packet anywhere on the net. Ah well, I'll keep looking for Cap' I suppose....

Leave it with me,i have a cunning plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I remember those crisps too.
    I remember the pack and the image.
    No recollection of the taste or quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I loved captain crips. Once I collected 12 packets and sent off for a airfix jet fighter. Possibly a f4 phantom. Can't remember what was cool in the seventies. The day I received it my cousin had a accident where he fell out of a moving car and badly injured his head. I offered him the model to help his recovery but secretly to my relief he said no

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

Some of my memories are sometimes incorrect, but the vague impression is that Captain Crisps were actually good, like a cut above the rest.

For comparison purposes, Rancheros were fine, if I remember, but Captain Crisps had a class about them.

After that it all gets black.

Anybody remeber Old Mrs McCreedy's crisps? Made to her "secret recipie" apparantly...dont remember what sort of range she had though.

Then there was Farmer Brown's crisps..these i DO remember,especially the worcester sauce flavour..they were absolutely delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Degsy wrote: »
    Anybody remeber Old Mrs McCreedy's crisps? Made to her "secret recipie" apparantly...dont remember what sort of range she had though.

Then there was Farmer Brown's crisps..these i DO remember,especially the worcester sauce flavour..they were absolutely delicious!

Jaysus yeah, they were savage alright

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Yup I had the poster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

300441.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19 basemann

I remember these from about 1982. I recall they were great but did not last beyond a year or so before they dissapeared ( from Cork anyway) and were to be bought anywhere. The packet was like the badge in colour (mainly white?) but I recall a full length profile of the character in a Judge Dredd type pose on one side (possible on the right). It came in several flavours but the most memorable was aforementioned the worcester sauce which was a real novelty to the usual flavours we were used to. I would love to see a packet cover. Anyone know who the manufacturer was? I suspect itwas a perry product.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Oh, yeah Farmer Brown's - Yum,

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mishapk

Hi

I know it’s an old thread - but I came across this ..

http://ifiplayer.ie/captain-crisps/

( the archive is a rabbit warren of nostalgia - be careful in there :-) )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

chopper6 wrote: »
    300441.jpg

Early Judge Dredd vibe all right.

01image02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Remember Zig and Zag crisps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bandy Boots

This washed up on the beach today... hello 1980s!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bandy Boots

Thought I'd let the Captain have a close up!

Advertisement